Translate

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Do You Plant Kohlrabi?

I plant kohlrabi every year.  I love it and my wonderful husband likes it too.  He'd never experienced kohlrabi until I came into his life.  Kohlrabi is super easy to grow.  Kohlrabi are best harvested when they're the size of a golf ball.  Maybe a bit larger.  I just peel kohlrabi and eat them raw.  They're crisp and have a light cabbage flavor.  Delicious and nutritious.  If I should happen to harvest more than we can eat at one time, I store the peeled kohlrabi in water in the refrigerator.  They keep fine for a few days.  I guess you can cook kohlrabi, but I don't know why you'd want to. It's mostly a spring/early summer crop as heat makes kohlrabi woody.  I've read a bit that it is a European favored vegetable.  I've never seen kohlrabi for sale anywhere (not even our local farmers' markets).  When I tell people about kohlrabi, they think I'm making it up.  There are always packets of kohlrabi seed available in our area.  There is a purple variety too, but I'd have to order the seeds.  I can't be the only gardener buying the seed in our area.  I've realized that the only people I know who grow kohlrabi are:  me, my mom and dad, my sister and my two brothers.  Now, I know my mom's family and my dad's family had kohlrabi.  So, I'm thinking my ancestors brought the love of eating kohlrabi with them to America, and my farming/gardening parents passed it on.  My dad is always in the garden looking for the first kolhrabi of the year.  Do you plant kohlrabi?

5 comments:

  1. I've never tried growing or eating kohlrabi, although I've seen the seed packets many times. It sounds like a good one to try and I think my girls would think they were interesting looking too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~Catherine
    I bet your daughters would think kohlrabi was cool. Let me know if you try.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen it in a friend's garden and wanted to try it. I have seeds but haven't planted them. Now I really want to because it sounds good. You just sow the seeds? Is now the time? If so I'll be doing it tomorrow as tomorrow is a gardening day for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~tina
    Kohlrabi like it cooler. Whenever you plant lettuce and cabbage for your area, they can go in. I always seed them directly in the ground. They're funny looking, but good. Somewhere I saw them called the 'space aliens of the garden.'
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I have some lettuce seedlings to go in today so I'll drop in a few seeds of kohlrabi.

    ReplyDelete