Translate

Friday, March 19, 2010

The Great Potato Experiment

Potatoes have always been a staple in my parents' garden. A lot of potatoes. My earliest memories of the garden growing up are of time in the potato patch. Mom or Dad would dig the hole, I'd drop in the seed, they'd put the dirt back in the hole, I'd step on the spot and we'd repeat, repeat, repeat; row after row. Then, there was hoeing between the plants, potato bugs to pick off the plants, water hoses to move from row to row and harvest. Mom or Dad would dig up the potato hill and I'd pick them out. They would carry buckets and buckets of potatoes to the cave.  My parents have a cellar under their farm house that includes a cave--a limestone lined, arched ceiling tunnel with access from the cellar inside the house and it used to have access from the outside with the classic door in the ground you see farm families hurrying through during a tornado in the movies. It is the perfect place to store potatoes. My parents still grow potatoes, just not as many. Although, they always have some to share because us children who moved to town don't have room to grow a lot of potatoes or a cave to store them in. Well, this year, I'm going to try growing some potatoes in big pots left over from trees we've planted in our yard. I've been scouring the gardening sites for information on this technique.  My understanding is that as the plants grow, you add more soil so they'll have more root space to grow potatoes. I'm not expecting a ton of potatoes in these relatively small spaces which is good because I don't have a cave, but if it works, I may find a way to use larger containers next year.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street