Translate

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Introducing, Strawberries!

I'm working on documenting all the edibles that are in my garden.  The last edible item currently in the garden but not in the blog are the strawberry plants.  So, here they are!  They grow on the near end of the berm.  I first planted them in 2008 following all those rules about not letting them run, etc.  In 2009, we had strawberries!  Not a lot but a nice treat.  Then, I wasn't sure about the runners.  I tried to get them to root.  Some did but I lost some mother plants in the heat of summer.  Everyone tells me strawberries will just spread.  Mine aren't really spreading.  I have them on a raised bed.  Light soil.  Some sand below for good drainage but they're still staying on one end of the berm.  Do I need to dig up the runners after they root and transplant them?  The strawberries are greening up and I know it's time to plant new ones if you're starting a bed.  Do I need to move some of these now or after they make berries.  I'm not really sure what I'm doing with the strawberries at this point.  I just know I want more of them.  If you're a strawberry farmer, I'd love to hear from you.  Thanks.

This post is property of http://gardenonsherlockstreet.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. Do you know the PH of your soil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~Anonymous
    I don't know the number but all of our soil is alkaline here.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~Anonymous
    I did some more research on strawberries and soil ph. I put in a lot of compost when I planted them but looks like maybe my soil is too alkaline for them to really grow. The variety I planted is recommended for our area but they might need a little boost. Thanks for mentioning the ph.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~Anonymous
    More reading on the care of strawberry plants and I think maybe I let them get too dry last summer up on the berm. I need to treat them more like the food plant that they are and less like and ornamental perrenial.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street