Translate

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Waiting For A Resurrection

Over wintered 09-10 part 4:
The Family and Consumer Science Extension Agent for our county is a generous soul who has a beautiful angel wing begonia in her office.  I believe it is a family heirloom plant for her.  She gladly gives starts from it all the time.  A few years ago, she gave a couple of starts to my amazing gardening neighbor who in turn gave one of the starts to me.  It took off and was beautiful on our front porch.  I brought the plant in that winter and watched in dismay as it dropped leaves.  I checked with the extension agent and was told this is normal.  Although, she keeps hers pretty nice.  The next spring, I took a start from what was left of the plant.  It rooted and grew beautifully on our front porch as did the mother plant.  I brought the plants in again in the fall and they started losing leaves.  This photo is the original plant.  Sad, I know.  The daughter plant looks better.  As long as they hang on in my dry, dim house over the winter; they get to stay.  No matter how spindly they look.  There was a great post, "growing fancy-leaf begonias, indoors and out," earlier this month at A Way To Garden.  I don't know what variety I have.  I just know it (and its daughter plant) is holding on for some heat and humdity.  It wants to go outside.  Just not yet.

This post is property of http://gardenonsherlockstreet.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street