Translate

Thursday, March 25, 2010

We Want To Go Outside Too!

Over wintered 09-10 part 2:
This is my small collection of cacti and one aloe vera plant.  Sadly, I almost killed the aloe vera last summer.  I had a huge pot full of aloe vera that were falling out of the pot.  I divided them up, gave some away to friends and repotted a few in the pot you see in the center of the photo.  Then, I sat it out in the garden where it got too much rain and too much wind.  Some died and the remaining ones looked sad.  I rescued them from the yard last fall and they seem to be fine now.  It's just so small compared to what I had.  The cacti were given to me by a friend at work.  I have no idea what varieties they are.  They were all together in a little "desert" pot display.  I separated them and the two on the left side of the photo are actually new starts because the original cacti got way to large for me to keep in nice little clay pots.  They're all ready for some heat and some sunshine on our back patio.  But, not yet!

This post is property of http://gardenonsherlockstreet.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

  1. I have such a problem with aloe. My FIL gave me a pot a few years ago. I almost kill it each year when I bring it out from under the house. I haven't tried dividing it. Dreading it now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~tina
    Why is your aloe under the house? I think aloe need a lot of sun and a good soaking once in a while; then let them get dry. I parked mine too close to the patio roof drip line last summer and it nearly drowned.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am playing detective and trying to decide what region you are located. Your profile does not tell. :-) Tina over winters plants under her house crawl space. Works well for her with a large space. She talked about it on the blog a long time ago and encouraged me to give it a try since I have cats that like to eat plants inside over winter. I gave it a try but did not work for me as I have a small space and was not able to water anything due to possible moisture getting into the wood of our floors. I don’t really have luck with cactus but have been able to keep one Succulent alive this winter! I am ever so happy about that and will take extra care to see how long it can be with me….

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~Skeeter
    I've learned something new! I'd never thought about people keeping plants under their houses over the winter season. They would freeze during the winter where I live. More info for your detective work. :-) Do they get any light under there? Do you set up grow lights? I don't have any cats in the house so I can have as many plants inside as I can find room and light for.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Tina waters them occasionally while under the house but dont believe they receive any light. But maybe she has lights set up. Hum, I will have to ask her...

    ReplyDelete