Translate

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Deep Watering


Take one aqua cone, one two liter bottle with the bottom cut off and one knee high hose...


Put the two liter bottle in the aqua cone...


Put the knee high hose over the two liter bottle...


Stick the aqua cone into the soil next to where you're going to plant...


Plant.

The knee high hose is an easy screen to keep bugs and leaves from getting down into the aqua cone where they block the drainage holes.  Wire cage is optional depending on the plant.  The full water jug acts as a wind break and a bit of a heat sink for the new transplant.  You can also plant and then put in the wire cage and aqua cone.  This happens to be a bell pepper.  I put an aqua cone by each pepper (3--2 bell and 1 jalapeno), each tomato (2 romas so far--planning on a cherry tomato later) and the cantaloupe hill.  I'll put them by the zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, acorn squash and cucumber too.

This post is property of http://gardenonsherlockstreet.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

  1. I swear by these! I've used them for a few years now and they work as advertised. Unfortunately, I did not pull them up from the ground last season and my new puppy dug them and chewed them up so I only have 4 or so left. I am experimenting with an old water hose to try to make something like them. I've tried plastic pop bottles as a replacement but they take too much soil volume in a container. If my water hose experiment fails, I may break down and buy more spikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~David in Kansas
    Aren't they great? I bought a second set for this year because I want them by more plants. They make watering so easy. When I have "help" watering, I can tell my niece or nephew to just pour the water into the bottle.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried those once too, but without the panty hose--which makes great sense, because the junk that fell into the top of the bottle was a ton! I'll have to try to use them somewhere! have enjoyed your blog so far! And it's nice to know there are other blogging gardeners in Ks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea the panty hose is! I'd never think of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~princessdiva
    They definetely need the "screen." I was frustrated the first year I used them because eventually they wouldn't drain. Love your blog too!
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea, I've never seen these before. I'm going to look for these for my vegetable garden. About half way through August I get so tired of watering that some things barely get a drink, and that's always when it's the hottest here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~Catherine
    I ordered my from Gardener's Supply Company: http://gardeners.com/
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an awesome idea. I will have to try that! Also, how did that june bug manage his way through...strange. :/

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street