Translate

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Rouge Irises

I've posted about "the pile" previously.  A lot of interesting things sprout from and around "the pile" in the wild area which can be kind of fun seeing what we'll get from year to year.  Well, these irises are very determined.  Not only did the little leaves I tossed into "the pile" a few years ago, survive and root in; they're still growing despite having concrete chunks stacked on them earlier this spring.


They are actually going to bloom!  In fact, these are the first iris buds I've found this spring. 


On Saturday, I moved another small clump of irises from the area where the straw is laid because that is a path along the new raised vegetable bed; but I left these guys.  We're hoping to use the concrete chunks to make another flower bed so the irises will be freed soon.  I've condensed "the pile" to a smaller area as I make space to plant pumpkins and gourds.  In the mean time, the irises are going to follow one of my favorite sayings, "bloom where you're planted!"

This post is property of http://gardenonsherlockstreet.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. Gotta love those irises. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some tough irises! It's pretty amazing at what some plants can withstand. I think I'm going to try your method of planting irises and see if they do as well.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street