Translate

Monday, April 26, 2010

Waiting In The Wings


On Saturday, my wonderful husband and I made a trip down to my parents' farm for a visit.  I took my mom some daisy plants from my garden and surveyed the vegetables they've planted .  On our way home, we stopped at my favorite local greenhouse.  It is a family run operation.  It has a somewhat chaotic appearance but they know where everything is so if you can't find something in particular, just ask.  The main greenhouse has some of everything that likes sun.  There is a shade and house plant green house, and then several other greenhouses that you can browse but most of the plants are more of their main selection with some space for rose bushes and perrenials in different areas.  Besides the whole local owned, family run atmosphere (and the tradition as my mom has shopped there for years), most of their plants are in peat pots.  I snip the bottom for good measure and put the whole thing in the soil.  I don't have 40 little plastic pots when I'm done planting.  Some larger items come in plastic pots but I love the peat pots the best.  My wonderful husband's oldest sister and family now lives in the same town as my favorite local greenhouse so we got some bright colored flowers for her children and this gardening aunt set them up to plant a container for their new home.  They are almost 12, 6 and 4 1/2.  I think it was a hit and I'm expecting progress reports on the flowers especially from our 6 year old niece.  She's all about flowers.  Anyway, we got home late in the day and Sunday had some other things going on so none of my flowers are planted yet.  I have the containers and baskets ready and tucked all the plants by our back steps behind the air conditioner.  It makes for a nice little plant nursery from time to time.


4 comments:

  1. Good morning. I saw your comment on another blog and loved the name you chose. I'm a gardener and a mystery novel lover so I found the name perfect:)

    I have a favorite little greenhouse too. It's been there since before I was born. Just a little family business but they have unusual things I don't see anywhere else. Anyway, I was there Saturday stocking up (they run out of the best things quickly). The last frost date here is May 15 so these plants will have to be held till then. I'll be dragging them in and out of the garage on cold nites for the next three weeks.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you all had a good time, nice tip on the nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~Roses and Lilacs
    Thanks for stopping by the garden. We love books too (my FIL especially loves Sherlock Holmes). It's just too perfect.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~Dawn
    Thanks for coming by. Nice to meet you in the garden.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street