Translate

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Blooms And Berries

All the buds have opened on my peony bush.  I took this photo and then brought one in to put in a vase on the dining table.  When I was looking for the tag of another plant in this post, I found the stake from the peony.  It is called "Karl Rosenfield."


This is the plant tag I was looking for.  This sweet blooming yellow perrenial is "Dwarf Sundrops," Calylophus Serrulatus.  I have a couple of them in the garden.  They have seeded a few new plants but don't spread too quickly.  They are very drought tolerant.  More flowers are coming.


After the all the rain Monday night, I went out Tuesday morning to find this single poppy blooming in the middle of the love-in-a-mist buds.  I never know where the poppies will reseed themselves.  They stay in a couple of areas but move around from year to year tucking themselves in amongst the thicker growing flowers.


I think we'll be picking organic strawberries each evening for awhile.  Man they are sweet!  Better than you'll find at the grocery store.  I don't think I'll get a big enough crop this year to freeze any but we sure will enjoy them in our lunches.


I planted some snow-in-summer in another area of the back shrub border this spring, but this is my established plant.  It is looking good!


6 comments:

  1. All of this looks good. Our strawberries are sweet too. Not a large crop, just enough to get a tast. The poppy looks nice in front of the lacy foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That snow in summer is beautiful-I'll have to look for that one. Grant is pretty excited about his strawberry patch too. There are a few berries ripening as we speak. He can't wait to eat them--I doubt any of them even make it to the house!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like those dwarf sundrops. And that poppy picked a great spot to selfseed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am taking notes! I am getting more and more excited about flowers. Seeing a group of butterflies visiting my yard told me I was doing the right thing. The Dwarf sun drops and the snow-in-summer are the ones i will try to get next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~Darla
    ~princessdiva
    It is amazing we've restrained from eating each strawberry as we've picked them.

    ~tina
    Somehow the poppies are good at that.

    ~David In Kansas
    Both of those do great. I made sure to water them the first year but now they survive on the rain we get an occasional soaking if we hit a long dry spell.

    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just noticed that there are berries forming on our Strawberries. I love Snow in summer, we once rented a house that had that growing all in the rockery.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street