Translate

Monday, May 17, 2010

Of All The Places To Sprout


Between our patio and the corner of the fence where the rain barrels live, is a lot of concrete.  "The pile" is next to this concrete and we're storing some staw bales on the concrete for future mulching.  Even with all this concrete, you'll see I have flowers sprouting in this space.  I'm used to having bachelor buttons, love-in-a mist, larkspur even an occasional daisy self seed in the cracks in the concrete; but this year, I have sunflowers!  I expect sunflowers around "the pile," but this is a first.  Sunflowers in the cracks in the concrete.  These are wild sunflowers not the large ones with the seeds you eat.  I doubt there are enough nutrients in that little crack for these sunflowers to get big or even survive.  We'll see.  Bloom where you're planted!

11 comments:

  1. They have a mind of their own! Curious to see how this turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bachelors button growing in the concrete by my front porch. I wouldn't be surprised to wake up one day and finding it growing along my kitchen floor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~Gina
    If bachelor buttons could find a way inside, I think they would sprout there too.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got weeds growing in sand and through landscape fabric. If only all my plants were this tough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I almost posted a picture of a tomato plant growing in an indentation in our plastic, toy basketball goal. How the seed got there, I'll never know. Sunflowers in the cement cracks. Life will find a way...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~Jeanne
    Those weeds. They always find a way don't they?

    ~David in Kansas
    That's a determined tomato.

    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a sweet autumn clematis sprout in a crack between the garage wall and the sidewalk. I'm babying it along because I love the way it looks climbing the garage.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roses and Lilacs~
    That would be a great discovery. I hope it does well for you.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess you just never know what surprises you might get. I like those little surprise flowers. I guess it would be a little hard to move them. Well, I hope they bloom where they decided to be planted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ~Amy
    Yea, it's all or nothing for those sunflowers there.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete