Translate

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Splish, Splash, I Was Taking A Bath

Monday evening was gorgeous!  Sunshine, no wind, warm.  It was the perfect evening to give all of my houseplants a bath.  Every plant in the house went out to the patio to get trimmed, showered and soaked.  I think I heard a collective, "Ahhh!"  I have some houseplants that stay inside all year.  They're special in some way.  I don't want to risk them being eaten by insects or damaged by weather.  Plus, I like having houseplants inside to clean the air all year long. 



The aloe vera and cacti which I posted about in March made their move to the back patio after the cleaning. They love the heat of the summer.

The angel wing begonia I overwintered and also posted about in March had a different fate.  One of the stems has been growing leaves.  I cut that off and put it in a different pot.
 

I still have the stems.  As sad as it looks, there is hope that more leaves will sprout.  These two pots will start spending a little time outdoors each day until they can live on the front porch for the summer and grow big beautiful leaves.


The year round houseplants were returned to the living room before sundown.  I'll introduce you to all of them at a later date.

15 comments:

  1. It is so good to get things outside and freshened up. I can finally leave mine outside. I like keeping plants for keeping the air fresh inside also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting timing! Yesterday a friend brought over her houseplants for me to tend while she is on a month's vacation. I don't do so well with houseplants (I have only a few very, very hardy ones), so am a little nervous....but I put them out on our sunporch and will water them as I do my own -- on Wednesday ("W" being for "water" so I don't forget.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~mothernaturesgarden
    Thanks for visiting. I see your garden is the place to go for bird watching.

    ~Rebecca
    I bet the plants will love your sunporch.

    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad I found your blog this morning.
    Gardening is my new (last 2 years) love.

    It's just hard where I live- zone 9-South Texas.

    Come by if you have time.

    I am now a follower.

    Laura

    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~Laura
    Thanks for stopping by. Hope to see you again soon. I'll be by to visit your garden.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful weather?? We had rain and high 50's. Good God, I just wanted a cup of coffee and my slippers. Hopefully, by the weekend. I wouldn't mind seeing more of those houseplants. I do enjoy those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~Turling
    Brr. Sorry. Hope you get better gardening weather soon.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I heard thaT AHH last evening. Wish I had better luck with house plants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ~Darla
    Oh dear. I told them to keep it down. :-)
    Sometimes, you have to try different houseplants to find the ones that like your home.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  10. with all the beautiful photos you have in your blog...you should join me for Fertilizer Friday!!! thanks for the visit...I would have not met you without it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ~Tootsie
    Glad to see (after all that planting) you have some energy to visit gardens. Thanks for stopping by!
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  12. Last year was the first time that I had taken houseplants out--and they actually lived! Looking better in the fall than they had when I put them out!! I am slowly moving some out as well, and will finish it up next week after returning from San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ~princessdiva
    Most houseplants love being outside. But I had one last year that didn't look good when I set it outside. Even the hot summer couldn't save it.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your houseplants look so healthy. Your spider plant is huge. I'm not very good with my indoor plants, I seem to forget about them until they are very dry and on the verge of death.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ~Catherine
    The spider plant is huge. It throws babies like crazy. I keep trimming off the older shoots and it just makes more.
    ~GonSS

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street