Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Trashy Place

Between the first raised vegetable bed and the concrete pad we park the trash bin on is a little strip of garden that has been taken over by dill.  Occassionally, a larkspur, four o'clock or bachelor button will grow there.  Various weeds are pulled from the space; but mostly, it is filled with dill.  I grow dill for the swallowtail butterfly caterpillars.  And, it smells nice.

Out past the concrete pad we park the trash bin on is a patch of mint.  It is contained by the concrete pad, and the alley road mostly.  I have to do a little digging to keep it from creeping to far the other directions.  With the mint, we also have bachelor buttons and a very nice stand of daisies.  Daisies are doing great this year at Garden on Sherlock Street.  I usually mow the mint once during the summer to keep it from getting too tall and bushy.  It makes my mower (and the garage) smell nice for weeks.


  1. What a great idea - to surround your trash containers with such wonderful scents!

  2. You made a "trashy" place look very cheery. I love daisies. They look pretty with the blue larkspur.

  3. I can't imagine having to mow mint. I have not been able to grow it. Last year, when I was sowing my mint seeds, my sister-in-law said to me:"Friends don't let friends grow mint". I am nursing a tiny mint sprig right now in hopes that some day I will have to mow my mint.

  4. ~Rebecca
    Thanks. I'll use any space I can to add flowers.

    ~David in Kansas
    Don't fret over the mint too much. I don't think it likes to be messed with much. You get that plant going and you'll have mint to mow!


  5. Oh, wow! That is a wonderful idea to place scents by the trash.
    I'm with David though. My m-i-l gave me a pot of mint and said "can't kill it", well I felt so bad when the poor thing withered out. It figured it would be me to be able not to grow it.

  6. I have published another blog page. I have missed over a year I did not think they were going to let write any more at all. My daisy are not blooming. Yours sure are pretty.


All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street