Translate

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Containers Settled For Summer

Here is a quick update on my container plantings. 

First, the ones in front:

I took the plume of leaves off the top of the angel wing begonia and am starting a new plant.


The old angel wing begonia stalk is putting on a new leaf.  I plan to try to start another plant with it once it gets bigger.  The impatiens are spreading if not getting taller.


The purple and white Martha Washington geranium is starting to bloom.  I'm waiting on the white geranium.


I added a newspaper liner under the coconut liner in these baskets because the coconut liner had diminished since last year and there wasn't enough up the sides to hold the water for it to soak in.  It kept pouring over the sides.  I have used just newspaper as basket liners in the past.  You need about 20 layers.  It works well and the soil stains it all a uniform color.  These wave petunias are starting to wave.


The two purple sweet potato vine plants are growing.  One has maple leaf leaves and one has heart shaped leaves.


This is the show stopper right now in front.  My flower tower is looking good.  The calibrachoa and petunias are blooming.  I also planted some purple hyacinth bean seeds in each level and the sprouts are getting ready to vine.


Now, the ones in back:

I added a newspaper liner to this basket of ice plant for the same reason as the ones in front.  The birds have been picking on this plant a bit but it is still going.


This is my saddest looking container.  I seeded nasturtiums in here and they were looking great.  Then, one day, I found a bunch of the leaves off the plants and realized I had black aphids.  I watered, I squished, I soaped, I prayed, I sprayed, I cried, I sighed, I googled, I learned.  Apparently, black aphids love nasturtiums.  I should have been watching more closely.  I read that aphids do not like garlic.  So, garlic press in hand, I garliced the container.  I haven't seen a black aphid since.  Now, that could just be because there are no juicy leaves left.  I hope it's not too late.  I'm waiting to see if these poor sticks will make new leaves.  They are still green.  We'll see. 


The purple fountain grass is doing well.



Here are the cacti and the aloe enjoying the heat.


The verbena needed a good trim.  Hoping for new blooms soon.


The asparagus fern divisions are settled in and I put in some ivy geranium cuttings which seem to be fine.


These hanging baskets have bacopa which is doing well and some geraniums which are starting to grow.



A lot of flowers are coming on this geranium.


My trash cans have vinca and green sweet potato vine starting to spill over the side.


Here's the mother ivy geranium plant.  It will have fushia flowers.


The surviving dianthus is enjoying its new neighbors:  bacopa and a wave petunia.


The variegated sweet potato likes being in this old water cooler.


This tub was a surprise.  I planted purple hyacinth bean seeds and white alyssum seeds.  They sprouted, but so did a number of four o'clock seeds.  Apparently, mother nature had already made plans for this planter last fall.


This is the mother asparagus fern plant resettling into her pot and enjoying the warmth of the patio.

Caladiums.


Impatiens.


The water garden container provides a soothing sound most evenings.  We don't run the fountain on windy days or if we're not here.  We have had one fish casualty.  The other five seem to be fine.


This is a new addition.  A friend gave me cuttings from her Jacob's Coat plant and they are really doing well.


These are amaryllis bulbs.  I haven't been able to get them to rebloom for a couple of years.  I keep threatening to toss them but I know I'm just doing something wrong so I keep them another season until I have time to try to get them back on the blooming track.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Sherlock Street, What variety of containers and what pleasure you must have from them as the year goes on. Container planting is, I fear, something at which I am hopeless - mine when I do attempt something never look like other peoples. What a good tip about lining with newspaper. I shall try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting! Where DO you keep them all?!

    The two hangers with Bacopa are especially attractive. I confess I am unfamiliar with this plant, but may try to find it. I (like Edith Hope) don't have much success with container planting. I DO have a couple of hangers that I really SHOULD try to do something with!

    Thanks for the inspiration (and newspaper idea)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all your containers. In the 24th pic on the left side---the grasshoppers, are they just for show? What are they made of? And might I ask where you found them?
    I have been doing container gardening for some time. I have a chain link fence therefore I have a window box at every post. I use any large container I can find, even whiskey barrels. I can't get down on the ground anymore so I try to bring my gardening up to my level. Container gardening can be so rewarding.
    I like the news paper idea. I had put plastic bags in the bottom to help hold moisture. My niece in N.Y. had given me that tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ~Edith Hope
    The thing I like about containers is you can't overwater them outside as sometimes happens with house plants. The water can drain while you go to other garden duties. Find a container you like and trailing plants always seem to look good in any container.

    ~Rebecca
    The bacopa is super easy. Last year, I had a lavendar one but couldn't find it this spring. I've been told cuttings of it will root but I didn't have any luck with that last year. As I told Edith Hope, trailing plants look good in any container and bacopa is pretty and easy! As for the storage situation. Well, all the galvinized containers remain outside through the winter. I stack all the clay pots, plastic pots and hanging baskets in the garage. I am trying to replace the clay and plastic containers with galvinized because my wonderful husband is requesting more room in the garage for tools. However, I seem to just acquire more without ridding myself of very many. I only use clay pots in front so they will always need a place to go for the winter.

    ~Lola
    The grasshoppers or crickets always catch a person's eye. They are a creation of one of my uncles. The body is a rail road spike. He then welds bended wire to it to make the legs and antenna. He used two nail heads for the eyes and I believe there is a additional piece of metal on the spike for the body too. They were gifts. I have two black, one white spotted and one yellow. I'll try to feature them more in a post one day so you can see them better. I think containers on every fence post sounds great! I've used the plastic bag trick too. It works great for holding the moisture. What I like about the newspaper more is that it can go right into the compost pile. Also, cheap paper plates inside the coconut liner helps too.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street