Translate

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Harvesting Garlic

The garlic has been quietly growing at the end of the berm since last October.  It's a bulb so it gets planted in the fall.  The stalks looked good this spring so I was hoping for a nice garlic crop.  When the stalks started to form seed pods on top, I cut them off to put the energy into the bulb.  After I tossed them, I learned you can make a garlic pesto out of them.  Something for next year...


When the garlic stalks dry, it's time to harvest.


Last Tuesday, I dug down below the bulbs to loosen the soil.


The bulbs were much deeper than I expected.  Did I plant them that deep?


There were good root systems on each bulb.


My initial plan was to put them in this bucket.


I quickly realized that I had way too many garlic bulbs to fit in the bucket.  Last year they fit, but this year, the bulbs are larger and I planted more.



After knocking the extra soil off the roots, I laid the garlic bulbs on the patio to dry well.  We had several dry, windy days.  By Friday, they were good to go.  I cut off the stems and rubbed of the dirt and outer skins.  I will save a few to replant in the fall but the rest will be consumed, shared and used as pest repellent in the garden. 


I don't know what variety the garlic is.  My in-laws gave us some a couple of years ago from their garden and I planted a few to get started.

This post is property of http://gardenonsherlockstreet.blogspot.com/

10 comments:

  1. A nice supply of garlic! I've not done that but may have to this fall. I've also grown garlic inside in a bulb vase and used the clippings to add flavor to winter dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Garlic is still very green so I think it will be a while before I'm harvesting any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have quite a harvest and the bulbs are so large. This must have been a prefect year for them.

    I planted on bulb several years ago and never dug it. I just enjoy the blooms every spring.
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What timing! My husband planted garlic for the first time this year and was wondering when to dig up. We are in NJ; stalks are still green, and were planted mid-May. Thanks for posting...

    Sue~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's a lot of garlic! How do you use it as a pest repellent?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I transplanted some plants from my grandma--but I think a hungry mole got them. Garlic was on my "purchase list" in Jan, till I found out that you start it in the fall. So, I am hoping to try this out in a few months. But I had absolutely NO idea what you did with it after you planted it--so thanks for the great information!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing beats fresh garlic. Great set of shots showing how to harvest them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How great to have so much fresh garlic! I was given some a year and a half ago, planted it and it never died back. It's actually still growing with green tops now. I keep meaning to dig up a couple to see what they are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ~Martha
    I didn't know about growing it inside.

    ~Shayla
    Hopefully, it's growing big bulbs.

    ~Marnie
    I think they had a lot of moisture this winter and spring when they needed it most. They'r fun for the blooms too.

    ~Sue
    I hope you have a great garlic harvest.

    ~Cherry Lane
    I take cloves of garlic and my garlic press out to the garden and leave bits of it on plants I want the rabbits to stay away from and this spring I put some on the nasturtiums that the black aphids were attacking. It seemed to do the trick. I wouldn't put it on lettuce or directly on any veggies I wanted to eat. It's still trial and error for what it works for.

    ~princessdiva
    Find a mole with bad breath and you'll have your thief! LOL.
    Garlic is super easy. I hope you get some this fall.

    ~tina
    Thanks tina.

    ~Catherine
    I wonder what it's doing too. I suppose it grows at different speeds in different climates.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If your garlic gets scapes, then it is hardneck garlic. I'm thinking that's the only kind that does. I cut mine into a couple inch pieces, and saute them by themselves or with mushrooms. I love them. Larry is not a big fan of them. I serve them when they still have a little crunchiness.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street