Translate

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The July Tour Is Ready

The July 2010 tour of Garden on Sherlock Street is ready for you!

You can see it by using the page link in the right hand column, "Tour Garden On Sherlock Street," or you can go back one post.

I took the photos about midday on Independence Day.  It was cloudy.

The front yard is looking fine.  I got a close up of the front walkway with the flag out.  The daisies were cut back and placed in the alley to seed more of the wildflower area.  A few daisies are starting to bloom again.  The moonshine yarrow continues to drape out onto the walkway.


Also in this bed, the Echinacea purpurea 'White Swan' is now blooming.


In the back yard, just off the patio, the love-in-a mist has made its seed pods.






These seeds will soon coat the ground.  When they're done, I'll cut down the plants.


Exploring the vegetables, I found this pretty white ruffled bloom on the snake gourds.


Also in the raised vegetable beds, I still have lettuce!  On the 4th of July!!!  It is Grand Rapids Tipburn Resistant.


Back in June, I posted that I had read about icing the soil in the summer heat to be able to germinate lettuce seed.  I read about this technique on digginfood.  I transferred that idea to icing the lettuce plants I had at the time.  On really hot days, I iced the lettuce in the morning and in the evening.  The lettuce has gotten a sharper flavor.  The heat is affecting the plants.  It's unlikely I'll harvest much more from these plants as the flavor has changed, but I'm still pumped about keeping them going this long into the summer. 


We've enjoyed salads way past our normal season.  I'm hoping to try icing the soil and planting some new lettuce plants soon.   I'll let you know.  Lettuce on the 4th of July!!!  It's so awesome. 



In the wild area, I found these babies on the sunflowers.  They will be cute little butterflies. This is why I grow sunflowers.


In the side yard, the first daylily has opened.  I got this free from a local garden club during a plant giveaway.  I have no idea what it's name is.


Also in the side yard, I found this tiny plant with delicate white flowers.  It was hard to get a good photo of it.  I have no idea what it is.


In the alley, the dame's rocket, love-in-a-mist, daisies and bachelor buttons are making seed pods.  There are still larkspur blooming out there.  This photo I shot Friday evening as the sun was setting and shining down the alley.


Don't forget to check out the main tour photos

Thank you for visiting Garden on Sherlock Street.

8 comments:

  1. I love that flagstone front path you have ! looking good, I keep wanting to grow sunflowers but never have. I have to do that next summer for sure. take care, Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden looks lovely and what an interesting post. We are used to growing lettuce all through the summer here so I find it interesting how different it is for you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning. Very interesting about the lettuce. Mine started looking bad about the end of June when we got our first really hot spell. I'll try your suggestion when I plant the fall crop.

    Managed to get one puny nigella to germinate this year. They don't like this area, I never see them in anyone's gardens here. They sure like your garden:)
    Marnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The love-in-a mist looks like it would be torture on bare feet. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your front walkway. The garden matches nicely too. That is a LOT of seedheads. I'll be collecting some seeds from my garden today and also I leave some in place. Some bloggers do a seed swap in the fall so you might save some in case you wish to participate. It is always fun. Anyhow, have a great day and stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just went back to see your tour. It sure does look nice there! I love your backyard!
    Your front entry garden and walkway are so pretty and very welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks great!! My sunflower variety is starting to really take off, and I am LOVING them!! I haven't seen any tiny visitors on the leaves, but maybe I should look a little deeper! The rain sure helps everything to look a little better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ~Gina
    Thanks. It's limestone from my parents' farm. We hauled the rocks in and laid them ourselves. That was a project!

    ~Shayla
    It gets too hot for lettuce in the summer and too cold for lettuce in the winter. I'd love to keep some going for salads all the time. I keep trying different ideas.

    ~Marnie
    I got the nigella in a wildflower mix and it has been here ever since.

    ~Turling
    They're pretty delicate. Like tissue paper almost. Not really sharp or anything.

    ~tina
    I need to round up some containers for seeds. I have family and friends here requesting some. I certainly have plenty to share. Thanks for checking out the tour.

    ~Catherine
    Thanks. I don't know if you can tell easily in the photos, but our walkway ends with a purple front door!

    ~princessdiva
    Thanks for stopping by. The rain had great timing. Everything needed a good drink including the sunflowers which I don't water otherwise.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street