Translate

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How's Jack?

In May, I welcomed a Jackmanii Clematis to Garden on Sherlock Street. I posted about my failures in trying to establish a clematis. I was very optimistic about Jack.

Jack was full and lush. I happily planted him, mulched him and watered him. Spring turned to summer. I watered Jack. Slowly, Jack started to look less full and lush. I worried. I gave him more mulch to shade his roots. I monitored the water more carefully. Then, I realized something was eating Jack's leaves. I never caught the culprits in the act. I'm suspecting grasshoppers. I hoped Jack's roots would survive and be able to produce a beautiful plant next year.




About a week ago, I noticed Jack producing new leaves!!! Leaves with no chew marks! I think Jack is going to be OK. I'm not expecting any flowers this year. I'm just glad I haven't managed to kill another clematis--yet. Sigh. Keep your fingers crossed!

This post is property of http://gardenonsherlockstreet.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

  1. Crossing my fingers for Jack :)

    We have two mature clematis and two IMmature ones. Even the immature ones produced a bloom or two this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had much luck with clematis although I do know it grows here -- I just can't! I'm sure in a couple of years, you'll be rewarded with lovely blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers are crossed here for you and Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are all ... rooting for Jack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad "jack" is flourishing for you. I think I need to try again with C. I have only one and it has only bloomed once in five years. I must have planted it in the wrong spot.
    My fingers are crossed XX for you.
    Rosey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plants are amazingly resilient. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yippee, Jack has returned! I will be crossing my fingers and toes for a full vine of color next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your clematis inequity pain!! Hope this one changes your luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray for Jack! I've had similar poor luck. You may inspire me to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Sherlock Street, How very disappointing for you.Let us hope that Jack's recovery is well under way now. Whatever, I should advise a really good liquid feed and at this time of year I find that there is little to better tomato feed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. About perrenials: The first year they sleep, the 2nd year they creep, the 3rd year they leap.
    Next year it will bounce back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ~Rebecca
    Sounds like you've got good spots for clematis.

    ~Martha
    It seems if you find the right spot it does do well.

    ~Darla
    Thanks.

    ~Amy
    That's good. :-)

    ~Rosey
    Thanks. We'll see if he can tough it out.

    ~Turling
    I like it when they surprise me!

    ~Skeeter
    I think next year, he'll do his thing.

    ~princessdiva
    Thanks.

    ~Cherry Lane
    I hope Jack does it for both of us.

    ~EH
    Maybe I can get him something this weekend when I feed my containers.

    ~Suzanne
    Jack sure has been napping!!

    ReplyDelete