In May, I welcomed a Jackmanii Clematis to Garden on Sherlock Street. I posted about my failures in trying to establish a clematis. I was very optimistic about Jack.
Jack was full and lush. I happily planted him, mulched him and watered him. Spring turned to summer. I watered Jack. Slowly, Jack started to look less full and lush. I worried. I gave him more mulch to shade his roots. I monitored the water more carefully. Then, I realized something was eating Jack's leaves. I never caught the culprits in the act. I'm suspecting grasshoppers. I hoped Jack's roots would survive and be able to produce a beautiful plant next year.
About a week ago, I noticed Jack producing new leaves!!! Leaves with no chew marks! I think Jack is going to be OK. I'm not expecting any flowers this year. I'm just glad I haven't managed to kill another clematis--yet. Sigh. Keep your fingers crossed!
This post is property of http://gardenonsherlockstreet.blogspot.com/