Translate

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Send Me A Postcard


All summer, I've been trying to decide what to do with these two cactus plants.

I didn't want to repot them.  I wasn't sure they would survive winter if I planted them in the garden.  I was tired of them falling over because they're too tall for the containers they're in.  Anyway, I decided over Labor Day weekend that I would try to find them a new home instead of bringing them into the house for winter.
I sat them by our trash container and listed them on a local radio program where people buy, sell, trade and giveaway items.  Free:  two cactus plants in clay pots sitting by the trash containter in the alley at Garden on Sherlock Street.  Help yourself!

They were picked up before nightfall.

7 comments:

  1. Wish I would have gotten that memo, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Glad they got a new home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sherlock Street, I do so approve of this. Clearly your cacti found a good home instantly. In Budapest on one day in October, everyone can put out onto the street anything that they no longer want and people can help themselves. At the end of the day, the Council rubbish vans tour the streets and colect up what is left. I think that waste is unnecessary and somebody's cast off is somebody's treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's another way to get rid of stuff I have heard of. You put a sign that says $ 20 on any item and someone will just "steal" it off your curb.

    I am glad your cacti got a new home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA Rosie--I was just going to say the same thing!! But it is so much nicer that it got given away instead of stolen!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a wonderful way to find a new home for the cactus! What is that saying, “One mans trash is another mans treasure” :-)

    I envy your rain. Since your barrels are full, can you please spare a bucket or two and send to GA? We so need the moisture in the garden...

    Our tomatoes usually do as well as your beautiful crops but this year, they totally flopped on us, sigh....

    Congrats on the harvest....

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~Darla
    I don't think you're in range of the radio station. Ha!

    ~Mildred
    Me too.

    ~EH
    Glad to see you support recycling! We have an annual "clean up" here in October as well. It's not official for people to collect items but they do. If it's by the trash pick up, it's fair game. We also have a number of charity run thrift stores in town where we donate a number of items through the year.

    ~Rosey
    That would work too.

    ~Melanie
    I agree. I find it works well.

    ~Skeeter
    I hope you get some moisture soon. I'd share the rain and tomatoes with you if I could.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street