Translate

Sunday, September 26, 2010

While We Were Gone

This is the artemisia plant I needed help identifying.  When we returned from our vacation, I noticed these little tuffs at the ends.  I don't know if it bloomed while we were gone and is done or if this is what it does.  I know it's hard to tell in the photo but there's a hint of yellow in there.


This is a wildflower which can be seen along roadways on the plains right now.  I'm not sure what it is called. It's another plant I picked up at a garden club's plant giveaway.  Usually, it stays more upright and really brightens the side yard.  I'm wondering  if the downpour we received while we were gone made it flop over.  I had to move it off the mums in the corner.



***Updated 2010 09 27***

Thank you Jan for helping me identify this plant as Maximilian's Sunflower (Helianthus maximiliani).  The website Jan provided is http://www.wildflowerinformation.org/Wildflower.asp?ID=13.
*****

This post is property of http://gardenonsherlockstreet.blogspot.com/

8 comments:

  1. Good luck with the plant ID. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely close up pics - its so nice to see some autumn colour x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm now on a mission to see if I can give you an ID on the yellow wildflower...it kind of looks like it fits in the Rudbeckia category...I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could it be this?:

    Maximilian's Sunflower (Helianthus maximiliani)


    Here's the website I took this from:

    http://www.wildflowerinformation.org/Wildflower.asp?ID=13

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw your thanks to Jan for the plant ID. It reminded me I'd seen that on someone's blog last summer and wanted to find some to plant. I'm in Nebraska in the U.S. I don't recall seeing any here, but we can grow annual sunflowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan was definitely right--I have some big clumps up given to me by a friend--not knowing that they grow wild around here :-) The artemisia that I have (it is a new plant to me this year) has the tufts on it, but no real bloom. The info from HCG says that it really is only a foliage plant--no cool flowers--at least in the seafoam variety that I bought. The foliage is very nice though, and will add a lot of texture to the preplanned garden that it was a part of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your artemisia looks like the same one I have. i don't know the name of it, but it does get those little ball-like flowers on it. I cut mine before they turn yellow/brown and dry them. They look great in dried arrangements and I make Christmas wreaths and mix some of the dried artemisia in with the greens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ~JB
    Thanks.

    ~freerangegirl
    Thanks.

    ~Jan
    You did good. Thanks for sharing the info.

    ~Sue
    This one is perrenial. It seems to be pretty hardy.

    ~Melanie
    Aremisia is pretty foilage. I may move mine next to something with deep green.

    ~Bonnie
    Thanks for the idea to dry it. I will have to try that next year.

    ReplyDelete