Translate

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween Snack

The pumpkin seeds I planted at Garden on Sherlock Street this year sprouted and grew but didn't get very big.  Eventually they were overtaken by other plants in the wild area.  I don't think they got enough sun where I planted them.  I'll need a better location next year. 

To satisfy my need to carve jack-o-lanterns, I purchased three pumpkins locally at the beginning of October.  One rotted so it was cut up and thrown in the pile.  The other two are perfect.  It is best to do this outside because of the mess.  Saturday was so beautiful that I just sat the pumpkins on the picnic table.


I cut open the tops of the pumpkins and reached in to retrieve all the seeds.  They had beautiful seeds.  I washed the seeds well and left them sit in a colander to drain while I did some other gardening. 








 

When evening came, I gathered everything I needed to roast pumpkin seeds:  1 quart water, 2 tablespoons salt, 2 cups pumpkin seeds and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or melted, unsalted butter.


I have the complete recipe in the previous post and listed under "Recipes" in the pages in the right hand column.

Preheat oven to 250 degrees

Bring the water and salt to a boil. Add the seeds and boil for 10 minutes.


Drain, spread on kitchen towel or paper towel and pat dry.




Place the seeds in a bowl and toss with oil or melted butter.


Spread evenly on a large cookie sheet or roasting pan.


Place pan in a preheated oven and roast the seeds for 60 to 90 minutes. Stir about every 10 minutes, until crisp and golden brown.

Cool the seeds, then shell and eat or pack in air-tight containers or zip closure bags and refrigerate until ready to eat.  We don't bother to shell them.  We just eat the whole seed.

Enjoy!

I'll post the finished jack-o-lantern photos when they are done.

This post is property of http://gardenonsherlockstreet.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. Yum! We still haven't carved our pumpkins so it's not too late to roast the seeds. I haven't had much luck growing pumpkins. I think one year we got one small greenish one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Happy Halloween. We love roasting Pepita seeds. A great salty snack after pounding down candy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually wait til halloween and go buy 5 pumpkins for really cheap, just to make seeds! It was quite the production in my small apartments in the past!
    Off to get me some now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've got some of those sitting on the counter waiting for someone to attend to them. YUMMM!

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street