Translate

Friday, October 8, 2010

Hosta Redo


I decided to just dig all of them up and replant the area.  Well, I think some of them were way too crowded causing them to not grow as well. 

I don't have any photos of the massive hosta roots I unearthed because by the time I remembered the camera, I was a mess, the sidewalk was a mess, the whole hosta bed was a mess and I wasn't going into the house to retrieve the camera. 

I (with the help of my wonderful husband) separated several individual hosta plants from the masses and replanted them along with some crocus bulbs.  Everything got a nice layer of mulch too.


By the way, look how nicely the ornamental sweet potato vine has filled out the bed on the right.
The little green plants are the hostas.

The hostas that I didn't want need were placed by the trash bin and given away like I did with the two cactus plants.


I saw a young couple pick them up.

6 comments:

  1. I forgot what I was going to say now! No, just joking... it's always nice to give away something for free, isn't it? I always put stuff out on the street and we are always picking up "stuff" to bring home! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one lucky and very happy couple to get your hostas I am sure. That vine is fabulous! At first I thought it tiarella.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably should follow your example and divide my hosta NOW. Every year I tell myself I'll do it in the spring. Then spring comes, I forget how HUGE the hosta are, I don't divide, and get to where I am AGAIN!

    Your sweet potato vines are lovely growing that way. I've never seen them spread--I have always trained them UP. (They probably were MEANT to spread and I just didn't know.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad I don't live closer ;-) I have a few hostas on the north side of my house--they don't get huge, because I don't water them tons. I am hoping to plant some new hostas (maybe some cute little mini's) in the boggy spot I made next to the pond. Hoping for good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~Heather
    Ha! Thanks for coming back.
    I always figure if something is still good and useful, someone should have it even if I don't need it anymore. I've claimed a few free items myself.

    ~tina
    I love all the sweet potato vines.

    ~Rebecca
    I usually divide everything in the spring but wanted to replant some bulbs in the area anyway so I just went for it!

    I also grow sweet potato vines in containers but I'm really liking the way they wind their way through other plants and "fill in."

    ~Melanie
    I think hostas would like being by your new pond. Have fun planning all the plants there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually divide my hostas in spring but you have got me thinking that this might also be a great time of year to do it.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street