Translate

Monday, November 1, 2010

Basil Cuttings

We have a frost advisory for the area again tonight.  As I was picking tomatoes with any color, I looked at the large basil plants and decided to try rooting some cuttings as I'd read about on Melanies' blog.  As I carried the tomatoes into the house, my wonderful husband came home, the washing machine sang that it was done and supper came to mind.  Well, after supper and another load in the washing machine and a bathroom floor moped, I remembered that I was going to take some basil cuttings.  Pruners in hand, I headed out to the garden as the last glints of sunlight showed on the horizon and got the cuttings in semi-darkness.  I potted them in the garage and brought them into the kitchen for a drink from the sprayer hose by the sink.  After the pot drained, I grabbed a plant saucer and nestled the pot on the top shelf of the plant stand with some geraniums.  I hope the basil cuttings get enough light there. 


9 comments:

  1. Good luck with the cuttings! I painted some windows last week next to several huge basils, the aroma was so strong it made for a delightful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I bet your kitchen smells wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely description of the evening light!

    Good luck with the cuttings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your basil cuttings root for you. Basil is such a wonderful herb. I rooted a cutting in water, and now it is happily growing in a pot in my shed's garden. Your post reminds me that I want to take more cuttings to root.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can almost smell your basil from your pictures!! I am lucky we won't have a frost until much later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I need to go do this too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I hope you have good luck with the cuttings--it's just an experiment for me, but so far, so good! Seems like we have just had patchy frost at our house--but tomorrow night should hit 27--I think that will finish everything off. Boo hoo!! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first started reading, I almost closed the window out of tomato jealousy!
    Ive been thinking that I need to do this to my basil as well, but I don't even like basil that much, so I will save myself for summer only basil!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ~Randy Emmitt
    Thanks for visiting GonSS. Everytime I pick tomatoes I smell like basil. It is pleasant.

    ~Mildred
    Just walking up to the plant stand smells great.

    ~The Idiot Gardener
    Thanks.

    ~Flowerlady
    Your cuttings give me hope for mine!

    ~Jeannie B.
    Glad I give you nice scent inspirations.

    ~Darla
    Good luck with yours.

    ~Melanie
    If we both try it, we can both learn more! I'm fearing Thursday night--25 predicted currently. Brrrrrr.

    ~xoxoxo
    Please don't hate me because I have tomatoes. I'd share if I could.

    ReplyDelete