Translate

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Sowing Saturday

Saturday was a great day to be in the garden.  I readied the cold frames with jugs of water to act as heat sinks and with thermometers.



I planted a few seeds from each of these packets.


As I'm planting the broccoli raab I read on the packet that they want you to plant them in rows three feet apart.  Really?  Within the row, it says they can be two inches apart.  I don't have space for rows three feet apart.  I only planted about a dozen seeds just to give them a try.  This is a new vegetable for us.  I watered the cold frames and closed the lids.  Grow seeds, grow!



While I was planting, my wonderful husband was working over the concrete pieces we're planning to use to edge a new planting bed.  They are of various thicknesses so he is chipping off the extra concrete.  Then, he is cracking some of them into smaller pieces so they are relatively similar in size.



He made a lot of progress, but more await his attention.


I know the gardening season has officially begun when my garden hat comes out of hibernation and hangs on the hall tree again each night.


8 comments:

  1. Looks like you two had a good day to be outside. I just love the fresh smell of the dirt! Hope you have lots of success with the seeds you planted today and I LOVE your gardening hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look's like Ms Spring has finaly reached your part of the country. I too was enjoying the garden today but then I had to get ready for work. Thanks for sharing your garden..........Julian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never grown broccoli rabe before. I wonder if it gets pretty large and maybe that's why they want it so far apart? Your coldframes look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was on my laptop (which is smaller) and read "SNOWING" first and thought OMG -- you're getting snow!!!!

    I sow lettuce directly into empty flower pots -- they get green and there's something in them before you can plant annuals and we get the added benefit of fresh lettuce to eat in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you are able to be out and about enjoying your gardens.

    Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you!! Hoping to get into my garden this afternoon if it isn't raining!! My tomatoes need transplanted to larger pots. .and I want to get some dirt work done before my new plants arrive! Have another great gardening day today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big fan of repurposed concrete. Makes good sense!
    Cheers,
    Alice
    aka Bay Area Tendrils
    / Alice's Garden Travel Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  8. ~Mildred
    Thanks.

    ~Tallulah's Antique Closet
    Winter decided to come back a bit today but we should warm back up Tuesday.

    ~memmsnyc
    We'll see.

    ~Martha
    Well, we're getting snow flurries now...

    ~FlowerLady
    Thanks.

    ~Melanie
    Hope you got there. It is much colder here today. We stayed inside!

    ~Alice Joyce
    Thanks. I can't wait until we get to put them together to make the flower bed.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street