Translate

Monday, April 4, 2011

Another Planting Bed

The weekend was warm enough to work in the garden.

On Saturday, my wonderful husband finished creating the concrete pieces for our next planting bed.  I spent a lot of time weeding and transplanting flowers that self seeded from areas I didn't want them to areas where they could grow.  I planted pansies.  Plus, I cleaned the grill.  I've been wanting grilled marinated chicken breasts for a while.

On Sunday, we assembled the new planting bed.  A forecasted cold front was headed our way so we got on it to beat the wind.  We did! 

There were a lot of concrete pieces to put in place.  My WH loves a good puzzle.  He had a great time deciding how to put the pieces together.  A year ago, this area was still lawn.


I decided how much space to leave for the paths and marked them with yard sticks and my 18" board.


Due to the size of the planting bed, we put a few "foot sized" pieces about one step inside the bed spaced a pace apart.  These will give me a place to step while I'm working with the plants.


I lost count how many wheel barrels of soil we put in the bed.  Here's the first one.


The soil came from under the pile.  I pulled aside the old plant matter to dig holes into the rich soil below.





While dumping one load of soil, I discovered a pupae.  I believe it will be a hawk moth.  I reburied it by some irises I had transplanted earlier.


Still need more soil.


Filled!


As I dug holes for soil under the pile, I raked old plant material into each hole and moved over to dig another one.


Eventually, I leveled the whole area.  The black plastic landscape edging is sitting around where my moon flower should regrow, or I'll plant more seeds there.  My WH put the left over concrete pieces in the old fire wood ring we no longer need.  Future project material?


12 comments:

  1. You and your husband put in a lot of hard work on this new bed, but I'm anxious to see what it will look like in the weeks ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! It's so fun (and hard work) to gain new planting space. Can't wait to see what you plant there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats quite some job you've taken on there Sherlock. Looking forward to seeing it progress. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you made your new garden bed using stones. I love the natural look of it. Wow, that pupae is gigantic! Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you two have been busy creating a wonderful new garden bed. Hurray for you. I look forward to seeing what you fill this up with.

    Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful area...that soil looks so rich!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like spring has sprung for Sherlock! Great project and so ready for plantings to arrive. Pansies are a great little flower but the deer enjoy them so I dont always have them in my gardens, sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing more satisfying than creating a new bed. Gets those gardening ideas just flooding your mind on all of the new possibilities and new flowers. LOL! A gardeners dream. I love the shape of your new bed and the stones. Great idea to have a place to walk around on the inside of the bed or to set and work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one heck of a big pupae. Wow! Scary sometimes just how big they get. The new bed looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see a lot of hard work went on there. It looks so good too. You should be proud. Looking forward to your gardens this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that's a lot of work. Kudos to you and WH. Can't wait to see how it grows.
    Thanks,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed seeing the process of making your new flower bed. All that dirt gives me a high. When I see bare patches while driving, I mentally fill it with flowers. Also, our next door neighbor has a corner all dug out, and I thought she was making a flower bed. When I saw her next, she said the squirrels had dug up the lawn there, and she was replanting grass. I was disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street