Translate

Thursday, May 5, 2011

I'm Still Here. Really.

Life has been crazy! Nothing bad. Just busy--work, home, wonderful husband, family, associations and fun! I've been lucky to DO anything in the garden. There hasn't been time for taking photos or blogging. I have visited many gardens.  Occasionally, I've left a comment. Hopefully, the May mania is over.

The number one thing I wish for my garden is rain. It is unusually dry, even for us, this May. I've only made one rain gauge report listing since I put the rain gauge out.

This evening, the wind was calm, the temperature was warm and my schedule was clear.

For supper, I harvested the broccoli raab.  Doesn't it look pretty?


I marinated the florets and some of the leaves with olive oil, Italian seasoning and garlic. Then, I put it on the grill. I didn't move it enough and a few leaves got charcoaled but in general it was good! Even my wonderful husband liked it. This was a brand new vegetable for both of us. I think it was a success. We'll see if we get another harvest from the plants before the weather gets too hot for it.

The dame's rocket is starting to bloom. 


The last of my ordered plants arrived this evening too.  Gaillardia, red valerian, snow-in-summer and butterfly weed.  

I didn't get around to opening the box until it got dark outside.  I figured I could do that on the patio with the lights, but I'd better weed the veggie sprouts while it was daylight!  There are plans to put them in the ground Saturday.


Also Saturday, I'm hoping to make a stop at my favorite greenhouse to collect plants for the containers.  I'm acclimating the overwintered plants in the family room by opening the windows by the plant stand so they experience the temperature changes.  Most should be ready to go out this weekend as we're getting much warmer this week.

I really need to get some photos taken and it's almost time for the May tour!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Sherlock,
    Sounds like a lot has been going on, and all very interesting. We have not had rain over here for weeks now, and in fact I put the sprinklers on last night as the garden is drying out so much. Seeing you box of plants just reminds me of how exciting it always is to receive such things through the post. As for you salad crops etc....you are just putting me to shame! lol...take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "May Mania" pretty well sums up life sometimes, doesn't it?

    Wish I could share a little of OUR rain (and I know we don't have as much as some of our dear friends in the south).

    Looks like you'll soon be over your head in vegetables! There are times and seasons for everything...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad things are slowing down for you. Don't know if my Dame's Rocket will bloom this year or not, started it from seed onver winter..nice plant purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! Spring is crazy for me, too. Just when I WANT to be spending all my time in the garden, I can't.

    I don't thing I've seen broccoli raab before - what do you do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It IS a busy time of the year! Glad you are doing well and ever so excited to see that broccoli raab.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you love this time of the year? What fun you'll have putting your new plants in the ground. Hope you have wonderful weather and maybe even a little rain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure is busy this time of year. I've been the same way lately. The Broccoli raab sounds good. I can't wait to be picking something from our garden. Great new plants you got. I love Red Valerian and how long it blooms. This is the first year in many that I think mine may not have survived our weather. I hope I can find some more.
    Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never had broccoli raab. It is pretty and sounds like it would be good grilled like you made it. The dame's rocket is really nice. It looks tall too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Busy for sure!! Hope you get lots of goodies tomorrow at the nursery!! And a beautiful day to plant!! I was able to get some of my containers planted tonight. .hoping to get the veggie seeds planted tomorrow before heading to my folk's. I'm not sure planting in 100 degree weather will be a good thing either!! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been busy, mostly working on our front yard, and haven't had as much blogging time as I like, either.

    Yes that broccoli raab was pretty, as are the dame's rockets. I had some pink ones from my sister's yard, but they only lived 2 seasons. I have one that I got from a friend a few weeks ago, and it's blooms are about to open. I hope it reseeds some.

    Have fun getting your new plant in. I hope you get some rain. I've been watering my new plants, but think I better water my vegetable garden tomorrow, and maybe my flower beds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhh! So those lovely purple flowers are Dame's Rocket, huh? Good to know! They're beautiful! I love the repeated chorus of purple throughout your gardens!

    The patch of daffodils are gorgeous too, in your back garden. Just lovely back there!

    Here's hoping you get some rain. Glad you've been raking in some good harvests!

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street