Translate

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Bye Beans

I have decided to let the green beans go.  Sigh.  I know.  Gardeners don't give up.  Here's what's going on.  The beans are still struggling with spider mites, the heat and a drought.  When I do get enough water to them to show some improvement, the grasshoppers eat the nice new leaves.  So, I am no longer going to water them.  If mother nature drops rain on them and they recover, I will rejoice.  At this point though, I'm cutting my losses.  We did get one meal for two of green beans before it got really hot and they just stopped producing.


On a happier note, the yellow squash is good and producing well.  As long as I keep the squash bugs under control, it continues to do well.  We're even sharing yellow squash with friends.


The cucumber plants responded well to last week's fertilizer application and a good soaking.  I have tiny cucumbers setting on.


In the ornamental category, the flower tower is looking rather weak.  Two of the containers of bacopa died (the two leaning left).  One bacopa is doing well, but the purple hyacinth bean vines are struggling below.  I was kind of counting on them to fill in and hide the fact that some bacopa died.  I have also discovered a morning glory seeded itself in there.  Good.  Maybe the morning glory can make this a decent display still.


Plants that usually self seed in my garden are struggling to survive.  They're not even blooming yet in some cases.  I wonder if they'll make seeds for next year at all.

I also noticed today that the holly bushes are looking bad.  It looks like I'll be pruning a lot of dead branches out of them.

9 comments:

  1. I'm commiserating. It's very dry here, too. It's great to see some good things happening in your garden, despite the bean predicament! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a bad year for gardening that's for sure!!! I feel thrilled with any plants that survive -- I'm not expecting any to thrive!!! I will look forward to September and cooler weather which hopefully will relieve the stress that they've been having this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your beans -- it's always hard to have to give up on something. Gardens in are part of the country are having problems as well. I'm beginning to wonder if this heat will ever break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a tough year for all. Darn that Mother Nature!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's taking it's toll here now also. My sympathies to you.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to let the plants go isn't it? You gave it your best..

    ReplyDelete
  7. The heat is so hard on the garden, and I have chosen my battles just like you. Your squash look great, what kind of trellis are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ~Tina Marie
    Hello. Thanks for visiting. About the squash trellis, it is a square foldable tomato cage. It's working great for the yellow squash and the spaghetti squash. I think I needed to thin the zuchinni more because they're too crowded in one but in general I'm happy with the result. Using the tomato cages was a new idea this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awe sorry for all your losses.

    ReplyDelete