Translate

Sunday, July 31, 2011

A Frown


Froggy is sad.  The plant he was keeping company succumed to the heat and was finished off most likely by a cricket or grasshopper.  Sorry Darla.  It's been a rough month.  There was a lot of August in July.  With a whole hot month ahead of us, some tough decisions are being made at Garden on Sherlock Street. 

The beans have already been left to their own devices and the pumpkin has been given the same sentence.  As far as vegetables, I'm trying to focus on what will produce the best at this point.  I still have some vegetables put up in the freezer from last year.  There may not be much added to the freezer this year. 


I have moved some more containers of flowers hoping to give them a little shade for part of the day.  This included disassembling the flower tower.  I decided the purple hyacinth bean vines might be better on the patio.  I put the remaining bacopa by the front steps. 

The front garden shrubs seem to be fairing well.  I do run the soaker hoses on a regular basis.

The back garden shrubs are where I'm worried the most.  Many of them are getting brown spots.  There are also some perrenial flowers which have disappeared.  They may return next spring so I won't count them out yet.

Sorry for the sad garden report.  I'm just trying to hold on to what I can.

There's always a chance of a big rain shower turning a lot of the plants around in a hurry.

**Update:  Since posting this, we had a surprise rain shower give us .25" of rain and dropped our temperature to 80 degrees.  It's a good start!**

8 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have had some scorching heat. I hope you are blessed with rain soon!
    Thanks for commenting on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez I know how you feel. I am really concerned for my gardens and of course the shrubs are way up there on my list. I don't know how I can expect them to get through another month atleast of this. Let's hope for the best.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that your gardens are doing poorly because of drought conditions. I do hope you get some much needed rain soon.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm keeping the tomatoes and the baby perennials well watered. Everything else will have to fend for itself. It's a tough decision to make, but you're so right--it's time to concentrate on those that will produce the most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh....that sad frog. I have had perennials just disappear, too. It has been a tough, hot and dry summer. It will rain eventually...i keep telling myself. Hope you get rain and lots of it to fill up your rain barrels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you got some rain!! The forecasted super hot weather again this week is nearly down-right discouraging!! Doesn't seem like it was that long ago that all the gardeners were praying for spring. .now no one can wait for the fall cool down. .rain or not. .I think drought would be easier to tolerate without the sizzle! Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited to have time to visit some of my favorite blogs... I wish I had more time to visit everyone more often...I sometimes think of my online family and miss them so! Thank you so much for sharing with me/us!
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you have more rain coming so your plants will be refreshed. We had funny weather this week. We just entered end winter but it feels like mid spring this week.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street