Translate

Friday, August 19, 2011

Was It Worth Planting?

Here's the list of edibles in the garden this year. Some are still producing and some have been planted again. Others are long gone, were abandoned or never showed. Why wait for a snowy winter day to review the plantings? Let's start today...


basil
sweet--Awesome despite the heat and only being hand watered for long stretches of time. I'm still harvesting it. It has been shared with friends and put up for the winter.
planted 5/7/11
purple plant from Mel--Pretty. Planted it in the laundry basket that I installed in the garden this past spring. The heat and drought didn't phase it. However, the grasshoppers munched on it quite a bit.
planted 5/7/11

bean
snap: contender (bush)--Only got one little harvest. Just barely enough for dinner for two. Spider mites and grasshoppers got to the plants in a big way, and I just couldn't keep them watered enough to beat the heat. The beans were abandoned.
planted 5/7/11

broccoli raab--It grew well. The plants were very pretty. We grilled and sauteed them for a couple of meals, but we didn't like them enough to give them space in the garden again.
planted 3/12/11
planted 4/2/11

carrot
red cored chantenay--Grew well and tasted yummy. Planted more for a fall crop.
planted 4/9/11
planted 4/28/11
planted 5/17/11
planted 8/11/11
scarlet nantes--Grew well and tasted yummy. Planted more for a fall crop.
planted 4/9/11
planted 4/28/11
planted 5/17/11
planted 7/23/11

cilantro/coriander--Grew well. Eventually, it bolted and went to seed (coriander). Maybe some will self seed for next year. I only need a little of this as my wonderful husband doesn't care for cilantro.
planted 5/7/11

cucumber
slicers: marketmore 76--Was slow to get going this year. I gave it a balanced fertilizer boost and a lot of water mid-July which helped. It survived the hail storm and started producing. I love cucumbers.
planted 5/7/11
slicers: white wonder--Was slow to get going this year too. I gave it a balanced fertilizer boost and a lot of water mid-July which helped. It survived the hail storm and started producing. It is easier to find white cucumbers in the vines than green ones.
planted 5/7/11


garlic--Just perfect in every way.

kohlrabi
early white vienna--A lot of these seeds didn't even sprout. I wonder if I got a bad batch of seeds. Only harvested a few but they were delicious. I need to make sure I get all new seed for these next year.
planted 3/12/11
planted 4/2/11
planted 4/9/11
planted 4/28/11
planted 5/17/11
purple vienna--These grew well. Very pretty having the purple against the white inside. Yummy!
planted 3/12/11
planted 4/9/11
planted 4/28/11
planted 8/11/11

lettuce
leaf: grand rapids tipburn resistant--Did well until the heat as should be expected. I shared a lot of lettuce with friends.
planted 3/12/11
planted 4/2/11
leaf: salad bowl [Saved from 2010]--Did well until the heat as should be expected. I shared a lot of lettuce with friends.
planted 3/12/11
planted 5/17/11
planted 8/13/11
leaf: black seeded simpson--Did well until the heat as should be expected. I shared a lot of lettuce with friends.
planted 3/12/11
planted 4/2/11
planted 4/28/11
leaf: red salad bowl--Did well until the heat as should be expected. I shared a lot of lettuce with friends.
planted 3/12/11
romaine: parris island cos--Did well until the heat as should be expected. I shared a lot of lettuce with friends.
planted 3/12/11
planted 4/2/11
planted 4/28/11

melon, muskmelon
hales best jumbo--The idea to plant it with the peas was good for the vines later in the season, but the peas shaded the plant too much early on. It didn't grow enough to start setting fruit in time and then the hail storm about did it all in.
planted 5/7/11
planted 5/21/11
melon, watermelon--The idea to plant it with the peas was good for the vines later in the season, but the peas shaded the plant too much early on. It didn't grow enough to start setting fruit in time and then the hail storm about did it all in.[from Mom and Dad]
planted 5/7/11
planted 5/21/11

onion
evergreen bunching--These did well. Still harvesting some.
planted 3/20/11
planted 4/18/11
planted 5/17/11
planted 7/23/11
red burgundy--Maybe red onions don't like my soil. I've never had a good crop of these.
planted 3/20/11
planted 4/3/11
sweet spanish yellow utah jumbo--Did fine but are kind of on the small side. Next year, I'll try starting some inside.
planted 3/20/11
planted 4/3/11

parsley
aromatico a costa rossa--Oh my gosh. I'm harvesting like crazy and making parsley rolls.
planted 5/7/11

pea
edible pod: sugar bon--These did well and are good.
planted 3/20/11
planted 4/9/11
planted 4/17/11
shelling types: little marvel (dwarf)--A favorite. I plant these each year. I got some put up for winter.
planted 3/20/11
planted 4/9/11
planted 4/17/11
snow peas: melting sugar--These were a great surprise. They did very well in the garden and we like to eat them. May bump out the sugar bons listed above for more of these and the little marvels.
planted 3/20/11
planted 4/9/11

pepper
bell: buy starter plants--Doing well. Just now harvesting some.
planted 5/7/11
jalapeno: buy starter plant--Got a slow start for some reason. Haven't harvested any yet.
planted 5/7/11

pumpkin
large: jack-o-lantern--Couldn't handle the heat. It wilted too much each day. I had to abandon the pumpkin.
planted 5/7/11

radish
multi-colored: french breakfast--First time planting these. Very good. Not as hot.
planted 3/12/11
planted 4/28/11
planted 5/17/11
red: cherry belle--These are a favorite. I always want more than I get.
planted 3/12/11
planted 4/28/11
planted 5/17/11

rosemary--Slow going but healthy looking plants in a container. Hoping I can keep it going over the winter.
planted 5/7/11
planted 6/9/11
planted 6/20/11


squash, summerearly prolific straightneck--The plant was beautiful before the hail storm. It is still producing. We love it grilled.
planted 5/7/11
planted 5/21/11
black beauty (zucchini)--We harvested a couple of zucchini but the wind and hail did in most of the plants. One small plant is still growing but looks rough.
planted 5/7/11

squash, winter
early acorn hybrid--The plant never vined. It is so small. ???
planted 5/7/11
small wonder hybrid--This plant is doing very well. I've harvested several squash and more are coming.
planted 5/7/11
planted 5/21/11

tomato
grape/cherry type: sweet baby plant from Mel #1--Very yummy. The plant took some damage from the hail but I think it'll produce more.
planted 5/7/11
grape/cherry type: chocolate cherry plant from Mel #2--This is the best producer of the tomatoes this year.
planted 5/7/11
standard slicers: brandywine heirloom plant from Mel #3--All the early fruit had blossom end rot. This is the only tomato plant with that problem this year. I'm waiting for the next round of fruit to ripen.
planted 5/7/11
standard slicers: mater sandwich plant from Mel #4--These are big and bold. Such a dark color and very good.
planted 5/7/11
?: volunteer in back 4--I see some fruit. It looks like a roma!
found 5/29/11

***** Perennials*****

mint--Prolific as always.

strawberry--Did well but the heat killed off many of the runners. Don't know how good the strawberry patch will be next year.

***** Extras *****

mesclun--I ignored this. We never ate any. My WH doesn't care for something in this mix.
planted 4/3/11

radishwhite: icicle, short top--These got hot, hot, hot.
planted 4/3/11
planted 5/7/11

spinach
bloomsdale long standing--Didn't sprout. Must have been bad seed as it didn't sprout outside last year either.
planted 4/3/11

13 comments:

  1. I would say that your garden grew very well in spite of the heat and drought. I would say definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering the strange weather all over the country you did great! I might have some tomatoes soon—maybe. Tomorrow we might hit 90F too for the first time this year! Glad to see your parsley did so well. I love the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I LOVE this post. You'll be able to look back with ease at what worked and didn't. That's probably the very best part of having a blog--it's ALL there, right at your fingertips.
    I have scraps of paper scattered everywhere with notes, but like you, plan on organizing. THough--I think you're the organizing-est gal I've ever seen---wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. With this weird year I guess it's fortunate anything did well for you or anyone else. Glad some things worked out.

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, I think I'm gonna cry!! Wondering if your tomato spot gets any shade at all. .I'm so impressed that you got all those maters. .and we have had NOT EVEN ONE!! I'm happy for the review though, cause they were all new varieties for us!! Hoping they will set some fruit now that it has been reliabaly cooler here. .and maybe we will get at least a few to TRY out!! I need to get my journal of the summer's trials written too. .it is sure nice to be able to look back and see what was good and not good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a great harvest overall, despite the heat.

    My spring veggie garden did great - we got wonderful lettuce, spinach, broccoli, onions, peas, potatoes, and asparagus. However, the tomatoes were just starting to bloom when the heat and drought hit and it's been a bust since then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great wrap up of your plants for you remember what's best. Such good info!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For such a horrible summer, your edible garden performed pretty well. I'm surprised. Mine didn't do nearly as well as yours. However, with the long, cool spring we had, I did get a bunch of lettuce and onions and other spring crops. The summer garden was sad, sad here.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great resource here. (Obviously you know what you're doing - even with the discouraging weather!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very impressive! I like cucumbers too . Mine were very slow this year as well as yours. But, finally we are starting harvesting them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is an excellent record. It will be interesting to see if what you planted this year will grow differently next year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sherlock,
    It's always worth planting, even if some things don't work. You have quite a formiddable list there, what was your favourite out of them all?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is so interesting to read your list and to see what your choices were and their success and failure.
    My plot has also been a mixture of good and bad and the weather has played its part!

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street