Translate

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Milkweed Find

My wonderful husband and I have been bike riding as often as possible enjoying the beautiful autumn weather.  On Friday, we were on a county sand road.  As we passed milo fields and cattle herds, I was checking out the plants along the road.  Along one particular mile, there were a lot of milk weed plants with seed pods already opened the fluffy seeds gone in the wind.  Then, I spotted a plant right in the edge of the road whose seed pods were ready to explode, but still intact.  I carefully collected one pod and tucked it into my pocket.


The promise of native milk weed plants next year.


I want to support monarch butterflies more next year.  They need the milk weed plants for the caterpillars.

I haven't seen any monarch butterflies here since I posted about the asters.  I think they've moved on south for the winter.

7 comments:

  1. Good luck with your seed. Hope they do well for you.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that milkweeds were so important to the life cycle of the Monarch butterfly until this year. We always pulled, hoed, or cultivated out every one we found on the farm as it was considered a noxious weed and needed to be eradicated. Another bad thing about blind row crop farming. I guess that every plant on earth was put here for some purpose. Most we just haven't figured out what that purpose is yet.

    Have a great day in the fall garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing this, and I love knowing that this is what sustains our wonderful fluttery friends.

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo....great shots of the pod. That sounds like a nice bike ride. I remember milkweed pods. When I see that image, it makes me sad. My hometown used to be home to monarchs...a lot of them. Today, they are around, but not like I remember as a kid. And here's why....we had some beautiful prairie areas along the river. Industry moved in and "improved" my childhood haunt....and the monarchs were no more. When I see that milkweed pod, that's what I think. They are the most beautiful things as the wind blows the seedlings around...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't made the connection between Milkweed and is't botanical name of Asclepias, until I read your post and had to look it up. It is mostly grown for gardens here and isn't really seen in the wild much. What an unusual seed, and so large, and never seen one before, and it is vital to the Monarch...wow...quite a package!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm anxious to see how your new milkweeds do next year! Please keep us posted.

    We just got back from Boston. While driving around the countryside, we saw fields so full of milkweeds (with their pods bursting open) that it almost looked like fields of cotton! Imagine how many monarchs we'd have with that concentrations of milkweeds!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so jealous, I haven't seen a milkweed since we moved out west. I'd read once that the silky poofy stuff (yeah I can't think of a grown up name for it) surrounding the seeds could be used as down filling.
    I hope they grow for you, a wonderful addition.

    ReplyDelete