Translate

Monday, October 17, 2011

Safety In Numbers

The weather forecast this week has "the f word."  Frost!!!

Since we are past our average frost date, I'm not really surprised.  In anticipation of frost, I have moved all the remaining container plants together along the edge of the patio where they will get some protection if it's not a hard frost.  They look really good.  I hope to hang on to them for a little while longer.  I have already moved in all the plants I wanted to overwinter.


I also took some cuttings of the sweet potato vine, bacopa, vinca and Jacob's coat.


I harvested the remaining peppers too, and chopped them before putting them in the freezer.

It was a long, hard growing season with the extreme heat and drought.  Autumn has been mild and given us some rain.  I'm not ready to go to winter, but the change of seasons has been welcome.

10 comments:

  1. I can't believe you have the danger of frost already!!! It just seems like yesterday you were looking through your flower magazines with your garden lights in your house fighting little bugs before spring!!! How time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It hasn't been the best of gardening for most of us it would seem. What a year! I don't enjoy winter like I used to but I'm looking forward to next year with hope!
    I hope all your plants last long into fall, it is nice to be able to have that extra bit of color to cheer us up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I find the change of seasons welcome. We are starting to divide up our succulents and find places for them indoors in window ledges and the like. The house is sttarting to look more like a greenhouse than a home!The border in your picture looks incredibly lush. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I don't get out there and take some cuttings Jack Frost is going to sneak up on me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe there is going to be frost! Yikes! Is it that time already? Where has the year gone???

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your cuttings do well!! It'll soon be time to hang Christmas lights! That's what makes the adjustment from fall to winter easier for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's that time of year, isn't it? We're only due to get down to 34, but that's close enough to count, so I moved all my porch plants into the workshop today.

    Somehow it seems too soon for the first frost to me. Maybe because the summer was so long and hot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems like the first frost has been late this year for everyone, but I think autumn is making up for the hot, dry summer. I was busy yesterday, too, potting up some plants to overwinter and picking the last of the veggies. I enjoy the change of seasons, too, but I'm not ready for winter yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are promised the 'f' word as well tonight! I'm not ready for it, I feel starved of warmth and sunshine. I'm packing my bags and going to try and catch some more friendly weather before winter settles in in earnest. (Last year the snow started in November!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have it in our forecast too, but so far so good. I need to move the agaves in. Happy Fall.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street