Translate

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

It Did Not Turn Out Well

I harvested some holly in November keeping it in a bucket of water in the garage in hopes of making some decorations for Christmas.

Since this is what the garden looked like Monday, I decided to stay inside and try an idea.


I got out a box of old glass ball Christmas ornaments that I use for just about anything except hanging on the tree, collected a few vases and brought in the holly.


I promptly broke one of the ornaments.


After tucking some ornaments into the vases (yes, one of those is a tree topper), I arranged the holly in the vases too.


Now, these are not the best ornaments.  The paint on many of them is cracked which I thought might cause some of it to flake off when I added the water (wanting to keep the holly hydrated).  However, I never considered that all the paint would come off making the water a mess and ruining the whole look.  I pulled the holly, poured out the vases and threw the ornaments in the trash.  This was not a good idea.


I found the glass pebbles I store in an old tin, cleaned the vases and went with a simplistic, elegant look instead of a colorful, festive look.



Tomorrow, I show you where I placed the arrangements.

12 comments:

  1. Deck the halls, eh? The joys of Christmas decorating! Sounds like a great idea -- I'm sure you'll figure it out in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have ended up doing the same thing. Oh well the holly is lovely and you could always hang a few other ornaments on them.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tis the season to be decorating. Isn't it. I whisked the bag off my Charlie Brown tree and plugged it into the wall socket. Waalaa, instant decorated tree. Yeah, I know it's such a single male thing. I don't think I'm going to get away with that being the only decoration in the house. My daughter and grandson won't let that happen. They like lights so I'll drag out the so last century lights and see if any still work. I got pretty good at repairing those twinkle lights that were not supposed to shut down when one bulb burned out. Yeah, right. Maybe a few twists of garland here and there, with lights of course, will spruce up the place a bit. Fa-la-la-la-la-la-la. Ho Ho Ho!!

    Have a great decorating day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the simple look of the vases. Good to know about the ornaments. Scary!!! It's good to experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think some cute red picks from Hobby Lobby would look so cute in your holly bunches! Looking forward to seeing where they go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never would have thought the paint would come off either. It was a great idea. I have a big ole holly tree and have red berries too. Think I'll do an arrangement. I have the stones too. Thanks. Hope you're doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm sorry. That must have been frustrating.

    Our 3 holly bushes are very pretty right now with berries and we have one nandina with red berries. Because of my 3 cats, I can't have any kind of "live" arrangements inside the house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ~Sunray Gardens
    Ornaments on the holly. That's an idea. I wonder what I can dig up.

    ~Melanie
    You're right, they would. I have glittery picks and put all of them in The Christmas tree. Something could turn up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your 'Plan B' worked out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Decorating is such fun though and it looks like it turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to have had those old ornaments. I've heard that the silver inside is similar to mercury glass. I took some ornaments from my childhood (60 yrs ago) and washed the color off the outside so I could have the silver on my tree. If you had left them in the water the silver inside would have washed off too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ~anonymous
    A lot of the silver came out of the inside too. Because, if I didn't fill them with water, they would have tried to float out of the arrangement. Most were clear by the time I tossed them. I like the idea of washing the outside to get silver ornaments though. Maybe another project!

    ReplyDelete