Translate

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

2012 Edibles Plan



I have put together the list of edibles I hope to grow at Garden on Sherlock Street this year.  I've added a few new things, but we try to stick with varieties we like when they do well here.  That's why I'm keeping a list now.  I used to just go with whatever variety of seeds I could find each year. Now, I search for what we want.  

2012

basil
sweet

bean
snap: contender (bush)
--This year, I plan to plant them in more than one location to head off problems like spider mites that finished off the plants last year.

carrot
red cored chantenay
scarlet nantes
--My wonderful husband loves carrots.


cucumber
slicers: marketmore 76
slicers: white wonder

garlic
--I planted this last October.  I haven't seen any sprouts yet which is unusual.

kohlrabi
early white vienna
purple vienna

lettuce
leaf: grand rapids tipburn resistant
leaf: salad bowl [Saved from 2010]
leaf: black seeded simpson
leaf: red salad bowl
romaine: forellenschluss (speckled trout)
--This is new for GonSS.
romaine: parris island cos

melon, muskmelon
hales best jumbo

melon, watermelon
??? [from Mom & Dad]

onion sets
--Will go with what I find locally.

parsley
Italian

pea
shelling types: little marvel (dwarf)
snow peas: melting sugar

pepper
bell: buy starter plants
jalapeno: buy starter plant


pumpkin
large: jack-o-lantern

radish
multi-colored: french breakfast
multi-colored: sparkler
--This is new for GonSS. 
red: cherry belle

rosemary

squash, summer
early prolific straightneck
black beauty (zucchini)
early white bush scallop
--This is new for GonSS. 

squash, winter
early acorn hybrid
small wonder hybrid

tomato
plum/roma type: buy starter plants
grape/cherry type: buy starter plants (saved tag from 2010)


----- Perennials -----

            asparagus
            jersey knight
            --This is new for GonSS.

            mint

          strawberry
          fragaria
          --The heat last year killed off a lot of the plants.  It will be a small berry crop this year.

----- Extras -----
I have seeds for the following but am not worried about purchasing more.  The broccoli raab was fine but we didn't enjoy it enough to give up the space to grow it again.  While I like cilantro my WH doesn't really care for it.  Snow peas and shelling peas should cover our needs.  So, I'll let the edible pod peas off the list.  These may get planted, but not in the prime garden space;or I'll donate the seeds to our church's garden which distributes the produce at our food pantry.  I need to talk to the garden organizer.

            broccoli raab *

            cilantro/coriander *

            pea
            edible pod: sugar bon



4 comments:

  1. I'm trying the Sparkler radish this year too for the first time. I've always enjoyed Cherry Belle and French Breakfast....but sometimes it's nice to try something new too. I got the seeds free with an order. We'll see.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed garlic shoots from some of the cloves about 3 weeks ago or so. Yesterday, I noted many more shoots. .but still not from every clove. We've had VERY warm weather. .I hope yours sprout. .I can NOT imagine why they wouldn't? It will soon be seed starting time around here. .maybe even as early as this weekend to get a good start on things!! I should make a list like yours. .I have been through my box of seeds twice checking. .and I'll still probably end up with doubles of something!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the illustration that you posted. It is time to plan and dream for the garden in spring. You have some good choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed seeing your list. I love the fragrance of sweet basil. I get hungry just thinking about some of these foods! How wonderful that you can donate seeds to the church garden.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street