Translate

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Google Reader Commentary



I postponed moving to the new Blogger interface until recently.  It's been interesting figuring out where some things are or which little icon gets me to the place I need.  It's not difficult, it's just different.  I thought I had mastered it until I realized that my post on spring planning was missing a title.  Why?  Because I didn't notice where the title box was.  I also forgot tags.  Same reason.  Hopefully, I find my way around soon.  

I also tried Google Reader for the first time recently.  In general, it makes sense.  I can just scroll down and read the entire post of each blog I'm following.  Efficient?  Yes.  Fun?  No.  I missed the personality of each blog.  The colors, the photos, the links, the gadgets and gizmos.  It was very plain.  Yes, the photos of each post were there, but the header photos of some blogs are just amazing.  You don't see them using Google Reader.  Clicking on the link and opening your blog is like stepping into your garden.  It's a total experience.  If I want more about what you're posting, I can usually search the blog and get previous posts about the plant.  Comments were missing too (unless that's a box I haven't found to check mark yet).  I enjoy the other readers' comments.  Plus, some days, I'll read a blog and then click on a link in the blog roll; read that blog and then click on a link in the blog roll, etc.  It's like a fun random garden tour.

At Garden on Sherlock Street, I keep a seasonal photo at the top of the right column; I have pages where you can find more information about GonSS; zone data and frost dates noted; a list of tags; links to other garden blogs; the followers block; my email address and a few slide shows.  I hope you enjoy them and find some useful.

So, in summary, I'm skipping Google Reader.  I want the whole experience of visiting your blog.

13 comments:

  1. I use Google reader and blogger dashboard. And yet, I still click on the post to send me to the person's page, because I like to see the pictures or quotes and stuff on the side.
    Google reader is for when you just want to "whiz" through stuff....thankfully I have more time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're talking about the new "dynamic" interface, I agree with you 100%. I love the way they look (Magazine is my favorite) and the fact that you can see more of the posts at a time. But until they get their act together and include gadgets, blogrolls, etc., I can't see switching. I have another blog under construction in Wordpress and am comparing them to see which one I will use for both. LTBG may be leaving Blogger if I do better there, though Wordpress.com has pretty limited customization capabilities. Ain't technology grand?

    Speaking of which, I thought I posted a comment on your very nice shout-out about the agastaches. Thanks! And consider the prairie catalogs -- Prairie Nursery (excellent) and Prairie Moon Gardens (new to me) for drought tolerant and tough natives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried the new interface, but I didn't like its plain look and I really didn't see any advantage to it, so I switched back. I agree about Google Reader, though--I want to visit a person's blog and get the whole experience, not just read the narrative.

    I saw on your last post that you were thinking about ordering some Agastache. I highly recommend them--my new Agastache last year bloomed its head off in spite of the drought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Google Reader! There's an awesome functionality, too, that you can use. You add the "Next >>" button to your task bar and then you can just click on that button and it will take you directly to the website of the next item in your Google Reader list so that you can see the headline, the comments, and everything. It takes you directly to the new post. I use that almost exclusively now!

    You can find it by going to Reader Settings and then clicking on the Goodies tag! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also deciding on the new Blogger interface - just updated my template - sometimes I wish companies would leave well enough alone! I have to look into Google Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I tried it....and I'm tech savvy...just wasn't crazy about the new interface. I liked some things but not enough to switch over.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes the title box is a bad design. I had to search to find it and kept wondering why they left it out. I have gotten use to the new format and actually like it now. There still is a lot of fiddling to go back and forth from my two different sites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The new interface is good, because it caused me to actually look around and notice there's a lot more stuff! I'm completely redesigning now.

    And, yes, I agree on not using the Google Reader, just for what you described. I use the Dashboard and from there go to each site. Much better in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you. I enjoy actually going to a blog were I can read multiple posts or track down a sequence of posts with a common tag. I guess I'm just not up to speed on the modern way of doing things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've felt the same way when I tried Google Reader. I like seeing the whole blog and the header, sidebar pics and be able to look at other posts or blog hop from them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes. .I'm behind on it all. .maybe someday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The whole mess of it boggles my mind! AND I hate wordpress!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like going to blogs and visiting them too. Sometimes, I hit Google Reader and zoom over to the next blog. Have fun making your world under glass.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street