Translate

Monday, January 23, 2012

Starting Spring Planning


It has been windy at Garden on Sherlock Street lately.  Today is calm and warm.

I spent some time over the weekend online and with the garden catalogs.  I also gathered all my seed packets to take inventory and make a list of what I need to purchase.  Most seeds are good for three to five years.  Margaret Roach has good info on seed viability at A Way To Garden.  I always need radish, carrot, kohlrabi, parsley and onions.  Parsley and onions don't keep well after a year.  We just eat a lot of the other ones.  I'm going to add yellow patty pan squash to my garden this year.  A friend gave us some last summer.  They were yummy and cute too.  I want to try a new lettuce, speckled trout or forellenchluss.  Dee at Red Dirt Ramblings inspired me to try that one.  I'm browsing the Southern Exposure Seed Exchange catalog which I downloaded from their website and am going to get some of my seeds from them.  I also will order some vegetables  from Burpee including Jersey Knight asparagus starts.  I know it will be a couple of years before we eat any of the asparagus.  So, the sooner I plant some the better.  I decided on a location for the asparagus bed last year and worked the area with some straw before winter.  Jeanne at Seven Oaks is trying to decide on an asparagus variety for her garden.  Before I place any vegetable seed orders, I do check at my favorite local garden center.  I'm hoping to fit that in this week.  I like them for some of those plants where you only need a few seeds.  Like zucchini.  

I have a nice list of pretty new perennial flower plants too.  I order many of my perennials from High Country Gardens.  I'm really watching for words like drought tolerant after last year's summer.  The holly bushes are coming out this spring and I have a plan for that area.  Melanie at No Place Like Home recommended caryopterisis or blue mist spirea.  I think it would look great by the fence.  Plus, I'm going to plant Agastache cana 'Rosita.'  Sue at Sue's Garden Journal, Catherine at A Gardener in Progress and Tricia at Let There Be Garden all thought that would hold up in our heat and drought.  And, both plants seem to be butterfly and/or hummingbird magnets.  Bonus!

It sure is fun to plan and dream about the coming growing season.

Meanwhile, in the house, the paperwhites are sprouting nicely.  I think I have one bulb that is dead.  Not bad for bargain bulbs.



Have a great week!

17 comments:

  1. I sure hope you have more self control than I was able to muster up with my seed orders. Seems every year there are more wonderful things out there to try. It's never ending----and I'm glad!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to edit the perennial flower list. But, what fun to just put everything I like in the "wish list."

      Delete
  2. Hey they still look great! They're coming up nicely. Asparagus sounds good right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are all set for spring. Can't wait either! I just found out some of my seeds are bad:( Paperwhites look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go to the K State website and look for their plant lists -- prairie star and prairie bloom (one is an annual and one a perennial and I can never remember which is which) -- but they are field tested ALL over Kansas and if they make the list they are one tough plant and should do well ANYWHERE in Kansas! I swear by those lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder! I need that list when I go to the garden center for my container annuals.

      Delete
  5. I've used Southern Exposure Seed Exchange for years and love their stuff. My favorite squash is from them, Thelma Sanders Sweet Potato Squash, and my favorite tomato, too, Arkansas Traveler.

    I talked with David Salman (High Country Gardens) at the State Master Gardener conference last fall and he said that any of the agastaches should be good for us except the blue ones, which are from an eastern species that requires more water. (We can grow it, but be sure to give it the extra water it needs, especially through the winter.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the verification that I'm on the right track. Cool that you've met David. I have visited their location in Santa Fe but it's been a number of years.

      Delete
  6. Always fun to start making plant lists! I thoroughly enjoy watching your garden come to life. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's certainly that 'list' time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had an asparagus bed when I lived in Ohio, and there is nothing better than fresh asparagus from the garden. It sounds as if you're going to have another great garden this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you have been busy. .the decision making process can be exhausting! Glad to have Gaia's info on the blue agastache. .cause I just got a packet of blue seed. .Am trying to winter sow several varieties. .the ones I have gotten from HCG just haven't ever overwintered here. I have a little start of caryopteris with your name on it if you'd like. .the little ones that I moved last summer bloomed just like the rest of them. .and I know this one would too. .let me know. .may be coming to your city in 4-6 weeks for a forensics meet. .I'll be in touch with you if that happens!! I'll bring the spirea then if you are interested! Now you just have to patiently wait for all your new goods to come rolling in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sherlock,
    You sound far more organised than me at the moment. The work schedule, well, doesn't have one at the moment, the allotment....hmm....well, the 2012 application of weedkiller seems to be working, and so we may even grow something this year. As for our own garden, well, it's a bit tidier. I enjoy hearing what seeds you are going to use each year. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You sure do sound ready for spring! I love your watering can, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you get your order in soon. Hope you have a very good kohlrabi harvest this year like you usually does.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Cook's Garden and Seed Saver's Exchange and Baker Creek. I have SO many seeds to order this year. I'm so excited! I've got quite the ambitious plan. :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street