Translate

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Taking The Plunge

Last March, I posted a "personal ad" for a watering can.

After some advice from fellow gardeners and much searching online and on foot, I found the watering can I wanted.  I paused at the price.  

I decided I could hold out until there was a sale or something.  There was never a sale or anything.

Well, with some Christmas cash, I bought the watering can.

It is a Haws Galvanized Slimcan.  The two gallon size.


As I wrote last year, "It must have a screw off sprinkler head. The carrying handle needs to be inline with the spout and pouring handle. Plus, I want the fill opening to be on top at back."  That is exactly what I got.  The "perfect galvanized watering can."

You can put different brass heads on the spout depending on what you want.  I chose basic round.  They don't screw on.  They slide on.  It is removable which is what I really wanted.


It arrived one late afternoon.  I immediately filled the watering can with water.  I watered crocus sprouting by the patio stepping stones even though it was only 38 degrees Fahrenheit. 


I see a great future for us.

9 comments:

  1. Isn't it fun to get an always wanted even though it is a little pricier than one intends. But good quality lasts forever! I love my Hawes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these for watering areas that can't get full streaming water....like pots! Have fun with it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really nice! Glad it is everything you thought it would be. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I certainly appreciate these kind of reviews. I've never minded spending for quality. There is so little of it out there now. I've put this on my Amazon wish list. Looks like a good one.Hope you have many years of use with it.
    Enjoy!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. I'm going to be a real dummy here, but I've never felt like I had a need for a watering can. Outside I use the rain wands with shutoff valves on a hose. When I start seeds inside, I use bottom-up watering trays. I can see the value of a good watering can in watering newly planted seeds or newly germinated seedlings outside. Is there any other time when a watering can is indispensable that I'm simply missing? I feel like I'm missing an important part of my gardening education!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ~Gaia Gardener
    I use a lot of soaker hoses and the aqua cones when plants are big. Watering the roots is best. For those, a garden hose and a bucket work fine. I use the sprinkling can as you noted on seeded areas or little sprouts mostly in the spring. You can do that with a spray nozzle on a garden hose fine, but I try to use my rain barrel water before I turn on a faucet. I either fill a sprinkling can or a bucket by the rain barrels depending on what's thirsty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you. .hope you love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sherlock, I think you've convinced me that I need a good watering can. The more I thought about carting rain barrel water to the veggies, the more it made sense. (I currently use milk jugs for the task.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely watering can there, I am quite jealous! I love the gentle spray that you get from a good rose on one as well.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street