Translate

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Did Your Zone Change?

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) released the new version of its Plant Hardiness Zone Map (PHZM), updating a useful tool for gardeners and researchers for the first time since 1990 with greater accuracy and detail. The new map—jointly developed by USDA's Agricultural Research Service (ARS) and Oregon State University's (OSU) PRISM Climate Group—is available online at www.planthardiness.ars.usda.gov. ARS is the chief intramural scientific research agency of USDA.  (from the U.S. Department of Agriculture).



Garden on Sherlock Street went from 5b to 6a with the new map.

The website is very easy to use.  You can really get detailed information for your area.




7 comments:

  1. Thank the Spanish Gods!! It's still the same. 9B:) Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Mine has changed! Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so cool! Someone told me about it and the MG posted it on FB and so I checked it out. My zone changed from 6B to 7A. I kind of knew it anyhow but now it's official. I'm not surprised yours changed too. 6A-woohoo-you can grow more things I think and still all the great northern plants like peonies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link to the updated map. We stayed in the same zone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My zone sticks. .6b. .and last winter we had zone 5 winter. .so thankful that this one has been warmer. Would be interesting to see if the zones have changed significantly over the last 25 years or so!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, my zone staid the same (5b) but I did notice the zone had shifted significantly north from where it used to be. I used to be right on the edge of 5a and 5b but now I'm solidly into zone 5b. So my question is when we had the brutally cold winter a couple years ago and a very mild summer why wasn't the zones shifted more south? The heading states that the zones are based on the extreme minimum temperatures from 1976 to 2005. In my own opinion the weather has become more volatile in the last five years which are not included in the base for the chart.

    Have a great day trying to figure out nature's weather. :0)

    ReplyDelete