Translate

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Winter Returns To GonSS

The very warm weather we've been having allowed me to do a lot in the garden this past week.  I'll have upcoming posts about some of the projects I worked on when it was sunny and warm.

Thursday night brought rain.  Friday afternoon brought rain.
Friday night brought snow.
We're very glad to have the moisture.


This morning, Saturday, it snowed a bit more and the wind blew.  Brrrr.


To see the February tour photos, go back one post or click on the Tour Garden on Sherlock Street link in the right hand column.

One of the projects I completed while it was warm was the removal of the holly bushes.  You may notice they are no longer in the back garden but sitting in the alley for a future trip to the city tree disposal site.

I also pruned the trees I could reach.  My wonderful husband will have to help with the locust.  I put the branches from a red bud on the raised vegetable beds to hopefully keep the neighborhood cats from using them as litter boxes.


5 comments:

  1. We received a good, soaking rain, but no snow. In fact, I don't think we've been below freezing for quite a few days at this point. We are getting colder today, with highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s for the next few days. I'm actually glad to see some winter weather...and I'm a bit jealous of your snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you needed the moisture and I'm glad you enjoyed some nice weather to get a head start on projects. Enjoy your Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would rather have rain any day than this snow! I guess I should take up skiing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello from Nebraska. We got the northern edge of the storm front that blasted through the midwest. Even though the top layer of three inches of soil wasn't frozen and the concrete roads were still warm from the 70 degree weather of last Monday, the snow stuck and turned a couple inches to watery slush before another five inches of snow layered on top. It made for ten pound shovels of snow to throw. It will be interesting to see just how much moisture comes out of the 7 inches of snow that fell. The stickiness of the snow made it stick to everything which left the landscape looking like a Courier and Ives winter landscape picture. Since I didn't have to be out in it, it was a great day just to sit back with a hot cup of coffee and enjoy the picturesque scene through the triple wide living room window.

    Have a the best winter snow day that you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We received about eight inches and I wondered if you would get any of it. We are glad for it as we are so tired of seeing brown.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street