Translate

Sunday, March 25, 2012

A Bike Ride In The Country

After the wonderful rain last week, the weekend was sunny and beautiful.

Friday afternoon, I spent a lot of time in the garden weeding.  This included removing some plants that had ventured beyond their designated space.  These were potted or bagged for my mom's garden.

Saturday morning, my wonderful husband and I loaded up our bikes and traveled to my parents' farm.  My mom is recovering well from her back surgery last August and her hip replacement last November.  She is able to do many activities again, but getting down to plant is not one of them.  My dad is putting in the vegetables.  He already has potatoes, peas, radishes, kohlrabi and onions planted.  The rain blessed their garden as well.  My dad has also planted a number of evergreen trees this spring.  I find it inspiring that my 84 year old father continues to plant trees.  I planted hens and chicks, daffodils, daisies, primrose, asters, wild snapdragon and bouncing betties from my garden in Mom's flower beds.  These should give her some easy color this year.

WH and I found some time to ride our bikes on the country roads.  One of my parents' fields is on the right hand side in this photo of me.  The lush green is hard red winter wheat.  It is planted in the fall, sprouts, hopes for moisture through the winter, grows in the spring rains hoping not to be nipped by a late freeze as it creates seed heads, matures in the early summer, can be destroyed by hail before harvest; but if everything goes well, will be a beautiful golden sea harvested in late June/early July.  My parents are retired from farming and rent their property out to other farmers receiving a portion of the crop as payment.


Here is an example of our wide open farm country.


While it is generally level, there are some hills.  This is WH zooming down one.  He likes to use the hill to aid his pedaling to go as fast as possible.  I prefer to coast going down hill and enjoy the easy ride.


There are small cemeteries among the fields.  We like to stop and visit them if we have time.


It is sad to see the stones not holding up and no one left to care for them.  The latest headstone we found in this cemetery was from 1918.  Most were from the 1880s.  There are treasures in these old cemeteries that you will not see from the road.


Treasures like these tiny irises blooming on some of the graves in this cemetery.  I wonder how many years they have been blooming here with no caretaker.


I also stopped to take photos of this amazing grass.  I was surprised that the seed heads still looked so nice from last year.


I hope you enjoyed our little trek off Sherlock Street.



14 comments:

  1. What an enjoyable post! I love seeing your parents' farm land. What lovely vistas to enjoy while riding bikes. I'm thankful that your Mom is doing well from her surgeries and glad that your Dad is still enjoying the yard. We have a few small cemeteries around us and it is always sweet to see phlox and other plants that have survived through the years. Sounds like you had a nice weekend. Hope the week ahead is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wow---what a glorious place to ride bikes... It's too mountainous around here for biking... SO--we just walk!

    Can't believe how flat that area is out there in Kansas... I remember driving through there last June --and talked at the time about the flat-flat lands!!! Beautiful!!!

    Sounds like your parents are both doing really well.Letting them be active as long as they can is so important...

    Great post.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful area. I would love somewhere like that to bike through for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful place to ride bikes. I miss the wide open fields from where we used to live.
    How sweet to plant flowers for your mom. I'm sure she'll appreciate the effort every time she looks at them this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A really lovely post. It must be wonderful to have such wide open spaces like where your parents live. I love the picture of WH speeding along. Very reflective bit about the Iris, and other flowers that probably flower year on year with no caretaker, and probably nobody else seeing them. A bit like some people I guess. Thanks for sharing your time there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly did enjoy the jaunt to and round the farm. How wonderful for your folks to live there and for you to be able to visit them. I would coast down the hills too.

    Glad to hear your Mom is doing so well, and that your Dad is still going strong planting and tending.

    Thanks for the side trip from Sherlock St.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am charmed by the fact that your Dad is planting slow growing trees in his 80s.

    How different the open landscape around you looks from our densely wooded closed in forests in New England.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There isn't much better for the soul than all the fresh green-ness of early spring. I'll bet your bike ride was invigorating!! As a child, we helped with the summer upkeep of a small cemetary like the one in your photo. .I loved looking at the old graves!! And even stopped last year so the kids could shoot some photos for 4-H. Wouldn't it be interesting to know some of the history behind the people laid to rest there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so agree with you on the treasures in cemeteries. I often like to wander them and think of the gardener who planted the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautify scenery for your bike ride. I am a coaster, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lucky to have all that beautiful open space! It was interesting learning about the growth cycle of the wheat.
    I bet your mom will love her flowers, especially since they are from your garden. I love that your Dad is still planting trees!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the tour. So that's where you get your excellent gardening skills:) And kohlrabi is one of my favorites back home. I hope spring keeps warming up. I can't have a bike here....we don't have room and if I lock it up outside, someone would try to steal it. Looks like a great day for fresh air. Hope your week started on a good note.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am fascinated by old, abandoned family cemetery plots. On the drive down to the Outer Banks of NC, there's a stretch of road where you see many of these abandoned plots, sometimes with the remnants of a ramshackle house, almost hidden in the weeds and vines and overgrowth. I always wonder: where did the family go to? And are there living family members now who don't realize they have kin buried in these abandoned plots?

    ReplyDelete