Translate

Thursday, March 15, 2012

First Seeds In The Garden

We have had very warm weather this week.  I've spent a lot of time in the garden watering, weeding, digging, transplanting and planting.  I know we could get a serious cold snap so I stuck with the tried and true vegetables that can go in this time of year:  lettuce, radish, pea and kohlrabi for my garden.  I'm trying to keep everything listed on this post.  I planted six different lettuce seeds.  Two are in a cold frame and four are under these old wire hanging baskets.  When the lettuce is done, I plan to use this area for some squash plants.


While the other lettuces are in a cold frame, there is nothing cold about it.  In fact, I have the lids open now because today when I checked the thermometers at about 3 pm, they read 120 degrees Fahrenheit.  Whoa.  It got to 80 something today.



9 comments:

  1. Its been really nice here too, cant wait to see more of your garden threw the growing season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I can't believe your temps there! I always get hungry when I read about your veggies. Wishing you a very nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to be out side isn't it. I have so many things blooming. I put them on my blog today. The hanging baskets is a good idea. When the seeds come up you can fill the baskets with pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that Grant and I can plant some potatos when I get home Sunday. I am sure missing my yard. .Devin advised my by phone this morning that I sure have a lot of flowers blooming!! Can't get over this weather!! Glad you are making good use of your "spring!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say those baskets look very neat and tidy on there.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi There, It is kinda scary when we have such an early spring --like this year. We never know when another horribly cold spell could happen... In 2007, we had an early spring followed by a terrible freeze the first of April.. It killed everything that spring.. SO---who knows about this year? Hope that doesn't happen --but it's definitely a possibility...

    Hope your veggies make it... I know they will taste WONDERFUL this summer.
    Hugs,
    Betsy
    I am doing a blog post on Monday showing some of our spring flowers which are blooming now.. Be sure and check it out...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The temperatures here on the Plateau have been more like June than mid-March. Most of our Spring bulbs have bloomed and the roses are growing so fast that I can't keep up with them. It's been a very strange year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well if the season begins early, you should start early:) I like the basket idea...very clever:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have some baskets like that over some flowers I've found the rabbits like to munch on. I keep forgetting to get on a Saturday morning local radio program to ask if anyone wants to get rid of some of those.

    My lettuce and such is up, too. While it is too early to plant beans and such, I think we will be able to plant them earlier than normal. I could be wrong about that, though. I am surprised at some of the perennials that are up already. Some of them are normally not up until the middle or end of April.

    ReplyDelete