Translate

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Gooseneck Reappears

Last year, I ordered gooseneck loosestrife despite all the warnings about how invasive the plant is.  I just love its arching blooms.  I planted it in a large plastic container.  When autumn progressed, I moved the container to a space near the back door and buried the plant in leaves.  Today, I moved back the leaves and found sprouts.


Since it overwintered so nicely, I decided to move it to my largest galvanized container on the patio.    It can take over the whole container and will be close at hand to see the blooms.


After a good drink, I covered the sprouts with straw and then a screen to hold down the straw because of our insane winds.


Even though it is very warm here this week, I know we can still have a big snow storm.  In fact, it seems to always snow after I plant some vegetable seeds.  It did last year and the year before.

I'm hoping to plant some vegetable seeds still this week.



9 comments:

  1. Don't you love pulling back the leaves to find those sprouts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing --- I put gooseneck loosestrife in two large containers and they were just lovely. And safely out of my garden! You will like the way they arch over your container, and they will certainly fill it. In fall the foliage is a very nice yellow, unusual for a perennial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love getting surprised with sprouts! Can't wait to see it in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the Loosestrife! You know I love all of your containers...I won't be surprised if we get one last cold snap here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not grown it but it's one I really like. It always looks so pretty and you've got it in a container so it's not going to be too invasive for you. :)
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to seeing that when it's fully up. By the way, when you said 'after a good drink', I presume you meant the loosestrife and not you? hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty exciting to see the new sprouts. When I lived in Wisconsin, I had several plants that I placed into a dark closet or left covered during the winter....and in spring when the sprouts would come out, I would be really excited. It's a nice feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! The last time I checked mine in the tub they are in, they weren't up yet. I had been thinking they didn't make it, but maybe they will be up tomorrow when I look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I left gooseneck in my former garden - sort of surprised it didnt find a way to hitch on another plant and find its way to the new garden! Great idea with the big bucket to keep it contained!

    ReplyDelete