Translate

Monday, April 23, 2012

Name That Iris

All the spring bloomers are doing great this year including the irises which are just getting started here.

All the irises at Garden on Sherlock Street were given to me by friends or found here when we moved in (we found one variety of iris which we rescued from under a layer of rock a previous homeowner had used along the back of the house).

I've been browsing blogs and reading the names of irises trying to match mine.  I'm just never certain about the coloring to know if they're the same.

If you think you know the names of the irises below, please leave me a comment with the name.

Iris #1
I got this iris from our amazing gardening neighbor.
Currently referred to as "purple and white."


Iris #2
I got this iris from a friend who was thinning out a bed.
Currently referred to as "yellow and purple."


Iris #3
This is the iris we rescued from the layer of rock when we moved here.
Currently referred to as "rescued iris."


If you think you know the "proper" names, feel free to leave the name in a comment.  Thank you!

There will be more "Name That Iris" games in the near future.



16 comments:

  1. Don't know. I have several no ID's also. Makes me crazy not knowing. I've only been able to ID two, but have several others. In fact I need to try and get some photos of what's blooming. Yours are lovely.

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not knowing their first names doesn't bother me. Colored Bearded Iris works for me...yours are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not able to identify them by name but they sure are lovely! Are they fragrant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not these three but there's one coming that is.

      Delete
    2. I take that back, the rescued iris has a scent but I really can't describe it. I went out and purposely sniffed each one. Ha!

      Delete
  4. I'm not good with the different names either, but I love the middle one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really haven't a clue but those are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no idea but I have that second intermediate iris and love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't help you either. .they are very pretty though!! I know you will enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. #1 - Purple!, #2 - Yellow, #3 - Light Purple! What do I win???

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how different folks are attracted to different colors. All are beautiful, but my favorite is the third one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could help you, but I don't think I can. I like to know the names of our flowers as well, but I enjoy the blossoms even when I can't identify them by name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry, I just call them Iris. My Iris are number one. I used to have yellow but they had to go when I simplified my yard. Now the yard got complicated again with playground equipment for a seven year old. Oh, well.

    Have a great Iris day. Mine or in full bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are about a gazillion named iris varieties. Trying to find the name of an older variety is much like the "needle/haystack" situation. Take a look here:

    http://www.schreinersgardens.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SIGO&Category_Code=TBI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HelenB
      Thank you for the link. I will check it out. It is fun checking out all the irises.

      Delete
  13. I am not good with the names of many plants, including irises. I have some that look like your first and second ones, but the colorings may be slightly different. I sure love irises, though. They are a nice old fashioned flower.

    ReplyDelete