Translate

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Special, Single Soponaria

Each spring, the saponaria ocymoides gets covered in sweet little pink blooms.

I really do nothing for this plant.  It is pretty happy where it is planted.



I ordered another one a few years back, but it wasn't the same.  It looked like a distant cousin of saponaria ocymoides. It had bigger leaves, fewer and bigger blooms.  Then, after a couple of years, it died.  I have tried cuttings of this plant with no luck.  It does not self seed.  There is only one stem in all those flowers.  It's not really spreading.  I can't dig up a piece and try it somewhere else.

I guess some plants are special and a garden will have only one.



9 comments:

  1. Yet another plant that I am not familiar with. The blooms are very pretty. Hope you have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Picky picky picky....yes some spots perfection while in others...not so much. I have the same issues. BUT you have one and it does look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beauty! I can't remember now what plants I've found to be different than others I'd had experience with, but I have had that happen.

    Oh, Homestead verbena looks like the kind I'd had in the past, but did not overwinter. I tried it twice. The flowers were a little pinker than the kind I had grown. I'm tickled that a friend gave me a start of the one that is in my blog background, and I'm pretty sure that's what I had before. It's a verbena that also has vervain in its name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is always wonderful to have a plant that we don't have to fuss over, even if we can't get it to multiply as we would like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Common name Soapwort right? I started this from seed two years ago, still no blooms. Stays green all year. I read that division by rootball, soft stem cuttings and allowing seed pods to dry on the plant is the methods for propagating. I do hope mine looks like this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty. It's flowers remind me a lot of Coreopsis. Shame you can't get it started by cuttings.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a new plant for me to learn about now. I really like it. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not very familiar with the plant. Can it be grown by division during dormant season? very pretty it will be good to spread it around the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a very nice plant. How long do the flower last? It seems to mound nice, does it continue to look good after the flowers fade?

    With All That I Am
    Carrie "The Handmade Homemaker"

    ReplyDelete