Translate

Monday, April 9, 2012

Winter Sown Seeds, 4 Out Of 5

The winter sown seeds have been quietly sitting between the two raised vegetable beds.
Since it was warmer this winter, they dried out more often.  I found myself watering them on a pretty regular basis.

The three milk jugs with false sunflower have sprouts!




The container with the chocolate flower seeds has only a few sprouts, but a couple of them are still emerging from the seeds so I'm hopeful more are on the way.


The milk jug with the gardillia has nothing.  Hmmm.  Maybe they sprout when it's much warmer.






11 comments:

  1. Don't you just love winter sowing? I enjoyed it the couple years I did it also. Great way to get lots of extra plants and it's fun.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's exciting to see the new growth. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd call that a successful winter sowing for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't you sow some milkweed seed? Have you seen any sign of life yet in those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put some out last fall and am seeing some sprouts but don' t know what to expect. There is a photo in my sprouts of spring post.

      Delete
  5. It got so hot so fast here I couldn't start seeds in the greenhouse, I have flats of seeds on the deck now, fingers crossed. Looks successful so far to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post! I have never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've off to a good start, I noticed some of mine just now sprouting and 1 of my elephant ear bulbs has finally sprouted. Hope you have a good week.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am having some action in my winter sowing pots too. .though several pots with no action. .I would call the technique a mixed bag around here so far!! Though. .I noticed new seedlings in several pots just today. .so maybe there is some hope yet. .but my impression was that it would be faster and they would be hardier this way. .they are no where near being garden ready yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I am from "http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/" I just found your blog and have really enjoyed what I have read so fare and can't wait to read more. I just started following! Please come visit!

    ReplyDelete