Translate

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Best May Day Gift Ever

When I arrived home from work Tuesday, I was greeted by hundreds of butterflies.  They were on everything in the garden that had a flower.  The alliums, the irises, the daisies, the new annuals in the containers, the dame's rocket, the bachelor buttons, even the hawthorne tree.

I literally bumped into butterflies walking through some parts of the garden.  I could have taken photos ALL day, but had things that needed done.

Here's a little video and a sampling of photos!

video



red admiral


???
imported cabbageworm (the spots don't look right to me)


painted lady


painted lady


painted lady


painted lady


red admiral


common variegated fritillary


???
imported cabbage worm (hard to tell with wings folded)


painted lady


red admiral


painted lady

I tried to identify the butterflies, but am not positive on some of them .  I did not see any monarchs, but I did see swallowtails.  The swallowtails would not hold still for photos.

Then, while we were eating supper, this guy showed up to add some more color to the garden.




12 comments:

  1. What a delightful welcome home you had! Loved the video and photos. Happy May Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These shots are incredible! What an inredile group of butterflies! Mother nature was thanking you for a job well done;) seriously you've got some great shots thanks for sharing. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know your butterflies better than I -- but they have arrived, too, at Linderhof -- the garden is full of them and it's such a pleasant site to see! Great photos BTW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how fantastic, what a site to see in your own space. Lovely butterflies, it's always wonderful when nature surprises us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is unreal. Have only seen one this season so far and by the time I got my camera couldn't get it to land again. Beautiful!

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh WOW so many butterflies! We only have cabbage white butterfly visiting. I like purple and you have so many collection of purple flowers! I really enjoy your garden tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely May Day gift from Mother Nature!!!!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! The butterflies have been great here, too. It's so nice to have them in abundance this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cardinal too!! I know I saw a swallowtail for sure today. .I suspected it the other day, but never saw it close enough..they don't perch for long!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how beautiful they all are. You have really got the butterflies. That is a great May Day gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I only these many butterfies in a butterfy garden... Unfortunately I have not seen many of them nowadays flying freely. I'm inspired to plant flowering plants now...

    ReplyDelete