Translate

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Poppies In The Path

Since I have many annuals that self seed in the garden, I have to pull some of them from places less than ideal.  Paths for instance need to stay clear if I'm going to navigate the garden.

There is one exception.  I do not pull poppies.

These are California poppies which I started from seed in the garden many years ago.  For years, I was lucky to get one or two to reseed.  So, I never pulled them no matter where they grew.  The poppy crop has increased, but I still can't bear to pull them.  As a result, I have poppies in the paths.

This is the side garden. (The low growing ground cover on the left are hens and chicks).


There is a huge bunch of poppies in the path.  I just step over them.

'

The pods are so interesting.  This is one just starting to open.


This photo has some seed heads.


The delicate petals of poppies are enchanting and their bright color really pops in the garden.



7 comments:

  1. Amen. I do the same. I never pull a poppy from my yard. They are free to be....wherever:) I like the variety you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't blame you for leaving the poppies where they grow - they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried to grow poppies, but yours are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The poppies are lovely, and I'd leave them, too. They are not, however, California poppies. My guess is that they're probably Papaver rhoeas, a wild poppy with a lot of common names like "field poppy" and "corn poppy". California poppy buds are non-fuzzy, about an inch long, a quarter inch or so at the base, and come to a sharp point. Check Google images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's interesting. The seed packet said California poppy. Either way, I like them. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. I love the poppies and I too find it difficult to pull them, last year they were in the path but this year it's mostly foxgloves. I moved the path a bit to accommodate them and will probably keep doing so as they plants move around so too shall the path!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would not pull up any of those either. It is too hot here for poppies. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete