Translate

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Purple, Yellow, White

When choosing flowers for the front garden, the criteria includes the bloom color being purple, yellow or white.


I have moved flowers that turned out to be orange or blue in hue.  They are happily living in the back garden.
Purple and yellow are complimentary colors.  They are opposite each other on the color wheel.  The white is a nice highlight.


Here is a list of the blooming perennial plants in the front garden.

Purple:
Iris
Russian Sage
Hosta 'Blue Eyes'
Chrysanthemum
Salvia

Yellow:
Chocolate Flower Berlandiera lyrata 'Mora County Mix'
False Sunflower Heliopsis helianthoides
Yarrow Achillea x 'Moonshine'
Jerusalem Sage Phlomis russeliana

White:
White Coneflower Echinacea purpurea 'White Swan'
Soloman's Seal
Heath Aster
Daisy

In addition, I have some purple and white larkspur which self seeded.
I confess, I pulled two pink larkspur plants.



In the spring, the flowering bulbs are also purple, yellow and white.

Purple:
Tulips 'Demeter'
Crocus Botanical Crocus Mixed
Giant Allium Allium x ambassador
Grape Hyacinth Muscari 'Armeniacum'
Tulips 'Demeter'
Tulips 'Demeter'

Yellow:
Daffodil
Crocus Botanical Crocus Mixed
Darwin Hybrid Tulipa 'Golden Peldoorn'

White:
White Glory Of The Snow Chionodoxa luciliae 'Alba'
Crocus 'Peter Pan'
Crocus 'Snow Bunting'
Crocus Botanical Crocus Mixed




There are also spring flowering shrubs.

Purple:
Lilac

Yellow:
Lynwood Gold Forsythia Forsythia x intermedia 'Lynwood Gold'




16 comments:

  1. I started out with good intentions to keep just a few colors, unfortunately--I have NO restraint. I love the soothing colors in your front garden. Mine is a wild jumble. Sigh. The only color NOT permitted is orange---which I don't hate, but I just don't like it clashing with all my pink stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to feel that way about orange. Now, I have a space for orange flowers and love them there during the hot summer days.

      Delete
  2. It looks really lovely. The colors and plants both compliment one another. Nice job.

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someday, I think I will be weeding out colors that don't match up well. .right now I just plant what I find. .without a lot of rhyme or reason!! I had to laugh about you pulling out 2 pink blooms. .and I thought I had OCD!! HA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! I can be that way about the front garden. The back is a rainbow!

      Delete
  4. I like those color choices....and the plants listed are great options. Your pics are lovely. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The purple and yellow with a touch of white is a nice combination. I confess that I don't put that much thought into the garden at Linderhof -- I just plant! But when you do think it out it is a much prettier garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful flowers... I love purple and yellow and white together also... Just perfect... Wish I could see your yard in person.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha! that is why I am a garden wench
    a party of colors at my garden
    all invited....
    sometimes I rather like the clashing
    But I love your front yellows and purples and white
    I think every garden should have white
    great job

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful blooms. I love the purple lining your driveway, is that Russian sage? It all looks so inviting and it's wonderful seeing complimentary colors together.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The driveway is lined with a salvia. A hardy one too. It will bloom until our frost and the bees and butterflies love it!
      The Russian Sage is in front of the house between windows to the left of the front door. You can't really see it in this post and it is not blooming yet, but it's sure growing!!!

      Delete
  9. Which salvia is lining the driveway? That's beautiful - and I had mistaken it for larkspur, based on the growth pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know its name. I got a start from our amazing gardening neighbor (rest her soul) when we first moved into our home. It self seeds some but is not invasive. It blooms all season and is a bee and butterfly magnet. I dead head some to keep it looking nice.

      Delete
  10. Tis beautiful. I was reading some of the other comments...I have a love/hate relationship with orange, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you idea of purple and yellow, I put pink and yellow. Could not find any pink the right hieght for the flower beds beside my walk. I have bought 5 diferent salvias finally I have one that humming birds love and the bloom looks like a flower with a defferance. Darla I have an all orange bed I found a rose the color of orange juice.Vacoom. The salvia I found is Mystic Spires Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice idea.. thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete