Translate

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Flowing Water Photos

I enjoy taking photos.  The garden is my main subject; but when we travel, I like to try to get nice scenic photos too.  

I have been trying for a handful of years to get "flowing water" photos.
I read the camera manual.  I read photography websites.  Etc.  Etc.

Eventually, I wrote out a little note card of the camera settings that were suppose to help make "flowing water" photos.  I tried those settings.  No "flowing water."

The weekend before our trip to Great Sand Dunes National Park, I crammed like I was taking a final in college.  I played with the camera.  I read online information.  Everything I could think of.  I made more notes.

During our drive to the park, my wonderful husband suggested I try to explain what I had learned to him.  I did and the whole shutter speed, lighting thing came together better in my mind.

We hiked to Zapata Falls one morning of our vacation.  The falls are hidden in a crevasse.  We had to hike in the shallow stream bed to see them.  It was hard to take nice photos of the falls.  Plus, the water was COLD!  So I'm not sharing those photos here.  I want to share my "flowing water" photos.

The stream from the falls was in the shade.  Here was my chance.




I still have some things to learn about the lighting and a few other settings to improve the overall photo, but I got "flowing water!"  I also understand having a filter will make a big difference especially if the water is in sunlight.

I was very excited!

This is what I did:
TV mode set to 15"
    ISO 80
    white balance for cloudy
    on tripod
    used the timer (physically pushing the button on the camera can mess up the shot)
water was in the shade

If you want to see some AWESOME "flowing water" photos, check out George's blog http://seniorhiker.wordpress.com/

Maybe someday I'll get some great "flowing water" photos like him.  Or, as his wife Betsy at  http://betsyfromtennessee.blogspot.com/ calls them "silky."

15 comments:

  1. Those are some lovely water photos. On a nice hot day those would be some nice spots to be at.

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think flowing water always hard to capture in photos I've seen but you've done a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice flow! I've yet to achieve anything close to this. May I recommend a friend's photo-blog for some more flowing-water pics? http://www.trailpixie.net/general/watkins_glen.htm is a great post to start with, though he has other good ones, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're definitely getting the hang of flowing water photos. These are wonderful. Thanks for mentioning us and keep practicing getting those flowing water pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well----you did great!!!! Yours are 'silky' also... Love them!!!! Nice waterfall...
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you took an awsome photo. Very dreamy looking I really like it.

    With All That I Am
    Carrie "The Handmade Homemaker"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inspiring! I am so bad about learning how to use my camera properly. I am impressed at how you studied up and kept trying until you figured out what to do - I'm going to try to follow your example....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm mostly a Kodak Easyshare point and shoot kind of camera guy. I usually dream up different projects and take pictures of the good, the bad, and the ugly, so pixels, shutter speed, aperture opening, and such, I leave for the pros. You seem to have captured the flowing water quite well. Keep up the good work and research and you too will be featured in a prominent magazine some day. It sounds like you are having a great time on your trip but if you are any thing like me you will be wondering how the garden is fairing in your absence.

    Have a great picture taking day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome pictures, sure enjoyed them a lot. Have a great weekend.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice and silky water. You got everything very right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey these look great!!! Tripod and timer are essential. That camera can't budge. I tried one by hand but it would blur the entire shot. Love that affect. I was thinking about George's photos during post and then you mentioned him in it. Yeah, he took some excellent shots from their last couple of trips. Enjoy your weekend. I'm out again today doing some cleanup, transplanting cacti, pulling back bamboo:), and the watering......never ending! Can't wait for the monsoon to get her.....soon!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats. Don't you love it when a plan comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh. .I love the photos!!! Maybe I'll have to have my kids work on that for 4-H. .a good project!

    ReplyDelete