Translate

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Update On The Containers

Everything is growing at Garden on Sherlock Street especially since we recently received some good rains.

I introduced these containers on May 1.  See how they've grown.

Here's a little tour of the changes in the containers.


yellow pursalane and white angelonia



***


left on ground: purple fountain grass
right on ground: green sweet potato vine and dichondra silver falls
hanging baskets: jacob's coat and purple and white verbena

The baskets are not doing well.  Birds keep picking on the plants.

***


yellow calibrocha, vinca vine cuttings and purple hyacinth bean seeds



***


purple sweet potato vine



***


vitex seeds


The vitex seeds never sprouted.  I have some cuttings of dichondra silver falls in here now and will try the vitex seeds somewhere else.

***


galvanized bucket on ground: pink verbena and pink diascia
hanging baskets: spider plant and fuschia vinca



The baskets are doing great.  I moved the galvanized bucket to a spot next to the locust tree.

***


purple fountain grass and creeping jenny



***


galvanized bucket: coleus
clay pot by bucket: baby's tears
clay pot by water container: asparagus fern


The fern I overwintered is hiding in the back of this photo.
I moved the baby's tears and brought in two containers of a vining plant I received from Melanie at There's No Place Like Home.  (Melanie--what is it called?  It has purple on the underside of the leaves.)

***


clay pot by water container: asparagus fern [again]
clay trough: caladiums
galvanized trough: wandering jew
[I don't have any life in the water container yet.]



The baby's tear are on the right.  I added plants to the water container and the fish are no longer shy.

***


peach rose moss



***


pink ice plant [2 of these on edge of patio.]



One hanging basket looks great.  Birds are picking on the other one!

***


round tub: gooseneck loosestrife
bucket: white and purple osteospermum and wandering jew cuttings
oval tub:  variegated sweet potato vine
water jug: purple wave petunia


Look at how much the wave petunia has grown.


The gooseneck loosestrife is starting to bloom.

***


trash cans: asparagus fern and yellow wave petunia
bucket: elephant ear's and begonia
[Two plastic containers on the right are just filled with sand.  I'll set something on top of them later.]



Several overwintered geraniums are enjoying this spot on the patio.

***


black container: purple fountain grass and purple sweet potato vine
little clay pot: salmon geranium
[Clay pots and plastic saucer on the right are a bird bath.  The brick in the saucer keeps it from blowing away.]




***


left:  rosularia serpentinica
strawberry pot: dragon's blood stone crop
front: echeveria known as topsy turvy
right: echeveria nodulosa
[Bucket in background is the one with pink verbena and pink diascia listed earlier.]


I moved this sweet potato vine in front of the kokopelli stake and put the sedum collection out on the edge of the patio to receive more sun late in the day.  I added some aloe vera plants and a cacti from being overwintered.




12 comments:

  1. Great before and after photos of your container plants... All of them (except the ones the birds are enjoying) are doing GREAT... I'll bet you are pleased!!!!

    Have a great Sunday.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great seeing befores and nows! I wish I would have thought of doing that. It IS amazing at how well everything is growing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure have a lot of container plants. They look great though.

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  4. My gosh ~ What a wonderful selection of container plantings. They must be giving you so much joy. Sorry to hear about the birds doing away with some of your plants.

    Have a lovely Sunday and a wonderful week.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great and pretty ideas that I will have to try in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to get back here often! What a wonderful and inspiring blog! Love it. Keep up the great job. I'm over at,
    My Stitching Blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really am glad to see all the great growth of your plants. You have some very creative arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your container plants! Thanks for your ideas, I so need them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow thats a great idea with the metal trash cans and buckets!! That looks so cute, plus I already have a few of these. Love the home grown feel it adds to all the plants. Marvelous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of planters!! I wanted to call that vining plant wandering Jew. .but I may need to revert back to my tag to tell you for sure!! Your fish are soooo adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are some wonderful containers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great. I am not really good with pots, I either water too much or forget them

    ReplyDelete