Translate

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Another Try On The Purple Fountain Grass

I have tried to overwinter purple fountain grass in my house, my basement and my garage.  No luck.  It always died.  Well, the very warm winter we are having is keeping the purple fountain grass growing on our patio.  I decided to give it another try.  I cut back the grass in one container (mostly so it wouldn't be in the way by the back door)  and I moved it up by the house just off our back steps.  It'll be protected from cold winds, warmed by the sun heating up the concrete and close enough to cover or even drag in the house if we ever get really cold.  Wouldn't it be amazing if I could overwinter purple fountain grass outside?


The purple fountain grass is still very green.


If you look closely at the top of the photo (click on it to enlarge) you'll see a lady bug who I guess was thinking this is a good place to be for the winter.

In other garden news, I spent some time weeding.  I know.  Weeding in December.  I pulled out henbit which was blooming, chick weed, wild oats, a couple of dandelions and another weed I can't name but don't want.  

My wonderful husband asked me the other day when was the last time we had a rain.  I dug out my garden calendar and the last time I wrote down rain was in the middle of October.  We've had a couple of wet fogs but desperately need rain.  Farmers are starting to see their winter wheat struggle here and cattlemen are selling off herds because they can't feed them.  It was hard to get enough feed stored for them for the winter with the drought during the growing season.  We are still in a water watch and some neighboring towns still have tighter watering restrictions.  

Dear Santa, for Christmas, I want rain.  





13 comments:

  1. I really hope your purple fountain grass makes it. I hope you get some rain too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, we have the same problem here. Lack of RAIN!!!! We were supposed to get some tonight --and other than a few drops, it (like every other time) went around us!!!! Nashville and Knoxville are both getting some rain --but no us! SO--I know how you feel.

    We have also been very warm this week.. Can't believe that it's December. It got up to 70 degrees here yesterday... Our Roses will start growing thinking that it's spring... ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do hope that your fountain grass will indeed survive this winter for you. We're fortunate here and it's a perennial.
    While I'm thinking of it, I want to tell you once again that you and your blog have inspired me so much. I had kind of given up so much of my gardening since we relocated here from NH. I would spend hours outside in my gardens up there, but down here just couldn't seem to get anything to grow. I wound up getting away from my gardening and turning to my needlework. I do love working with threads and yarns and all, but I have so missed working with God's good earth. Now though, reading your blog and reading about you trying over and over again and not giving up has made me want to get back into it. I've shown my husband your beautiful yard and come spring, I'm going to start bringing in the soil and do one area in the yard at a time, until there are more gardens and walkways than there is grass. There has to be a way that we can get nearly any plant to grow, and I'm going to start trying again. Thank you for being you and sharing your love of gardening.
    LindaLee from Cross’N My Stitches

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. I learn from other gardeners too. Everyone benefits from friends with the same passion. Have fun planning next years garden beds!!!

      Delete
  4. Try it out. I know it did well for me outdoors when in its decline. Just cover it up during those freezes. I think rain will be coming your way....by next week....and so will the cooler temps:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sherlock,
    Your Purple Fountain Grass should stand a better chance outdoors than indoors. You've done all the right things to make it comfortable. Here in the UK we cut most types of Pennisetum down, leaving a few inches for added protection, and I have had them be fine down to minus 8. No rain since the middle of October? Wow....no wonder you are all feeling it, and I hope you get some really soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very encouraging that you've kept it going during winters. I've had some in the ground die, but it was out in the open.
      We may be having a dusty Christmas this year. With wind ( like we're getting today) it puts us in 'high fire danger.'

      Delete
  6. I didn't realize you were STILL so badly in need of water. We've had too much lately---it should be snow! And like you, I have been digging in the garden. Crazy weather!! Hubby and I moved raspberries OUT of the garden (yea, that was a dumb place for them...) and transplanted them out to our back field. The alyssum that overflows my aisles is blooming, and I have snapdragons with big fat buds ready to burst open. Did I mention my snowmobile is gathering dust???
    Anywho, I've given a novel. Nuff said. Have a wonderful week and good luck with your fountain grass!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssum and snap dragons in December? That's amazing. We are at least 10" below our normal amount if rain for the year. I didn't plant too much new this fall because of the drought. Here's hoping you get a ton of snow soon and we all get some moisture.

      Delete
  7. If I thought it could be overwintered outside I would have some in a pot also. Will be interesting to see how yours does this Winter.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be an interesting experiment. I was able to work outside yesterday. I was working in the sun and was actually warm.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope Santa brings us some rain as well. I've also been doing some weeding in the yard this month. I hope your Purple Fountain Grass makes it through the winter.

    ReplyDelete