Translate

Friday, December 28, 2012

Baby, It's Cold Outside

I checked on the lettuce in one of the cold frames today.  It is frozen.  We've been close to zero degrees Fahrenheit each night since Christmas and not warming up much during the days.  So, I wasn't surprised.  I thought our snow was going to melt before Christmas, but the cold front kept any that is in the shade most of the day.  Lends a Christmas feel to the garden.  We're suppose to get a little above freezing this weekend.


Inside, the Christmas Cactus is starting to bloom.


Gardening catalogs are arriving in the mail.  Unless we get a lot of moisture very soon, I'm not planning to put in new ornamental plants this year.  Our city manager is talking about going to a 'water warning' which would tighten our watering codes more as the drought will not break.  I'm sure I'll order vegetable seeds.  There will still be cozy evenings with the catalogs.

The recent winter storm Euclid only gave us flurries.  Hope you weren't impacted badly by Euclid.



9 comments:

  1. You have made me anxious to look at catalogs! Your cactus is such a pretty color. Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There, I thought you all must be getting some of that bad weather. It's been fairly cold here --but nothing like you have had. We got a tiny bit of snow --but only a dusting.... More may be here tomorrow...?????

    We got some seed catalogs too ---so they will be fun to look at this coming month...

    Love your cactus.

    Happy New Year.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we could have some snow. I don't know if it's anything to do with Euclid, but I am looking out of the lounge window at storm winds and rain....another day in I guess! I hope 2013 is a slightly wetter one for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping the larger amount of snow we have right now will make a difference on our water table here. Still more months a head for you, hopefully things will improve. Your cactus is looking fantastic.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the mail lady grumbles every year about this time. I'm getting at least 2 catalogs a day now. I didn't even realize there were that many companies in existence. Ah well, makes for some fine reading on those days to cold to get out and ski.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's too bad I can't send you some of our warmth, and you can't send me a bit of your frosty air. It is gray, very warm and humid down here in s.e. FL. I just checked and it's 81 and feels like it is 84. Tomorrow is supposed to be cooler though. Tonight it is supposed to get down to 53 and feel like 45, then up to a high of 68. It will be a welcome change.

    I hope you get some moisture in the form of snow. We need a good rain too as we are very dry again. The rain we got over the summer was great, but we've had very little since then.

    Have a wonderful new year ~ FlowerLady Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brrr! It is cold at your house. The cactus is blooming just in time. Blessings in the New Year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have you to thanks as I hum that title song for the rest of the night!! One of my favorites :-) We still have a bit of snow left ourselves. .and my pond completely froze over for a couple days. .the fish are moving r-e-a-l-l-y slooooowwwww! And I was a bit tickled to be the witness of one of our cats fall thru the bit of thin ice left at noon today. .as quick as he was in. .he was OUT! Poor fella. .that's what he gets for salivating over my fish! I'm starting to get a little intrigued about the new varieties in the catalogs. .and will have to check my supply soon and start making lists! Praying for some more moisture this week. .and for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've been shovelling ourselves out of the snow here too, but it's great protection for the garden. Very dry here in the summer as well, makes a big difference on what I grow. I see it as a personal challenge to have a beautiful garden with only the water mother natures gives us. The water I do use all goes on my daylilies.

    ReplyDelete