Translate

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

One Hyacinth In The Refrigerator

While Christmas shopping I found a small 'kit' to force a hyacinth bulb.  I've always wanted to try this.  I snatched one off the close out sales shelf and brought it home.

Not much to it.  A box with the simple instructions on back, the 'special' vase and a hyacinth bulb.


It says not to have the bulb touching the water.


I tucked it to the back of the refrigerator.  I'll need to check that it has water and watch for a sprout so I can bring it out.


The box said it will be weeks (10-12) before it is ready.  I guess people who know what they're doing with these already have them going.  That's OK.  For the sale price, I can have it bloom a bit later than most.

7 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to try this too! Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't forced a hyacinth in a LONG time. Maybe I'll hit the big box stores after the holidays and see if I can snag any on sale like in previous years. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually buy these kinds of things after the holidays when they are on clearance, I don't plan ahead very well! I'm looking forward to seeing how yours does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, oh...I did this last year and didn't have success. Guess what I did? I put the bulb in the refrigerator and brought it out then put it in the little vase with water. I guess I should have read the directions. The bulb grew a little and then stopped. I finally planted it outside. I'll have to see if it comes up out there.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't believe the instructions are correct. There should be no water in the vase. Google it and I'll think you'll find I'm correct. Put the bloom in a big room because the fragrance can be quite overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems there are various ways to force hyacinth bulbs including this one. The point of the special vase is to hold it above water while the roots develop. I'll try this and see if it goes. Always more bulbs to try other ways next year.

      Delete
  6. I have always wanted to try one of these! I wrote an article a while back for Hub Pages on it; it seems like such a beautiful thing. I do love the smell of hyacinths and having one in the house in the bleak days of December would be wonderful. Maybe I will give it a try this year.

    ReplyDelete

All comments go through "comment moderation." You will not see your comment on the website immediately. I want to read every comment. By using "comment moderation," I won't miss a single one. Thank you for visiting "Garden on Sherlock Street." Happy gardening! ~Gardener on Sherlock Street